Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding port that is forwarded

kingpin

Lightbulb Help finding port that is forwarded

I want to speed up my downloading/uploading in uTorrent, but am having trouble finding a port that isn't blocked. My router is unbelievably locked (the company made it that way so you have to call them to port forward additional ports, so no way I can manually port forward). How would I be able to see if a port is open on my router? I know I could use a port scanner but wouldn't that only work if I had uTorrent running on every port. Or will I still get open ports even though no program is listening on any port? Do I scan my (hmm, opposite of local IP-address)?, or the 192.168.1.1 router ip ? Tips apreciated

Junior Member imported_soultaker666's Avatar

If you run the torrent client that you use and then do a port scan on your system with NMAP you should see the ports that are open.. If you use Utorrent as the client in the options you can test to see if the port that it uses is open or not..
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.

Besides torrents SUCK.. Get with the program and use NewsGroups.. They are able to max out your bandwidth. Streaker69 is right if you are using your companies network you better ask your admin otherwise you might find yourself looking for another job and maybe some vaseline..

kingpin

Quote Originally Posted by soultaker666 View Post
    If you run the torrent client that you use and then do a port scan on your system with NMAP you should see the ports that are open.. If you use Utorrent as the client in the options you can test to see if the port that it uses is open or not..
    Yeah but the problem is the default port is closed. I don't want to manually test 50000 ports that way
    And by the way, this is at home, I'm not lying. The router my ISP came with is controlled remotely. So one of there people have to go in and make changes.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    Yeah but the problem is the default port is closed. I don't want to manually test 50000 ports that way
    And by the way, this is at home, I'm not lying. The router my ISP came with is controlled remotely. So one of there people have to go in and make changes.
    I'm not rying to sound like a ass but if your isp gave you a pre configured router then changing it is probably a violation of your contract which could result in legal action.just a thought

Time for a new isp!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

And I suppose you are posting this from home as well ?

So you have a pre-configured router that your ISP gave you? Do you have any of the login information for the router? Supposing this is your router and you can make changes to it. Go into Utorrent and find out what port the program uses or change it to whatever you want. Go into your router (if you have the login information) and open that port up.. Besides it does not take long to test 65535 ports with NMAP to see if the port is open. If Utorrent tells you the port is closed more then likely it is closed and you will have to manually open it. If you do not know how to open ports on a router then you should do some searching on GOOGLE and find your answers.

Hey, quick question. Who's your isp?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

kingpin

TDC (www.tdc.dk). It's a really f***ed up ISP. The router is:
    http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pro.../3300_res.html
    It is completely remote controlled. I CANNOT login to the router, it is completely closed, so I can't make any configuration to it. The only way I can forward ports and make configuration to it is by calling my ISP and making THEM do it. It even has a built-in Wi-Fi technology, but guess what. I have to pay a monthly fee to activate it! It's unbelievable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast