Thread: Passive vulnerability scanning of MFPs?

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default Passive vulnerability scanning of MFPs?

Hi,

I'm a security technician trainee on a task to find vulnerabilities of over 800 multifunction printers (MFPs) connected to an internal network and so far I found a few using basic pentesting methods and knowledge about MFPs vulnerabilities.

Doing this task manually is very time consuming, as you can understand, and was wondering if someone could recommend me a passive vulnerability scanner that can help out with the task? Going trough each printer host manually and check for vulnerabilities is to time consuming and using an active vulnerability scanner like Nessus is not recommended for scanning printers as I understand it? Also I can't use Nessus home edition for this task and openVAS is also an active scanner, so I'm out of options here I feel.

Also I'm aware that the results from vulnerability scanners are not 100% accurate and can miss some information, but at least its a bit useful during the work I have to do.

Appreciate any other recommendation to make this task easier.

Edit: I got help from my supervisor letting me know it is ok to use openVAS, so no need for a passive scanner which I misunderstand the use of from beginning.
    Last edited by JW2012; 11-29-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: New info

Default Re: Passive vulnerability scanning of MFPs?

If you're just looking for/at the same details across numerous different instances of the same device/config/etc then why not just write your own scripts?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Passive vulnerability scanning of MFPs?

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    If you're just looking for/at the same details across numerous different instances of the same device/config/etc then why not just write your own scripts?
    I had that in mind, but writing my own scripts is far beyond my current skills. I just done some basic BASH script for automatic installation and configuration of Ubuntu, but that was a simple script. Thanks tho for the advice.