Thread: Backtrack 5 r3 hardrive partition/installation (Dual boot Win.7)

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation Backtrack 5 r3 hardrive partition/installation (Dual boot Win.7)

Okay, let me preface this by saying I am a complete noob when it comes to linux. period. That's why I am here.
    I am trying to install Backtrack 5 r3 on my Hp G62 Notebook PC (64-bit) running Windows 7. I have been able to successfully boot backtrack from a live cd. Unfortunately I simply can't figure out how to install it to a partition instead of wiping out Windows 7. I have Google'd non stop for about 2 days now trying to find out how and there are a lot of tutorials which I have read and even youtube videos that make it look like its a breeze but they haven't helped. So far I have created I 25 gig partition that I want to install backtrack to (figured this would be enough since its not going to be my main OS). here is a snapshot of my setup: computer managment windows.jpg

After setting up that partition I restart (once back into windows 7 to make sure everything is working fine then into backtrack from the cd)
    Once in backtrack I click on the Install backtrack icon on the desktop and get through the first 3 steps before seeing this:
    prepare disk space.jpg
    Then I go to specify partitions manually because I dont want to erase my HD and I get this:
    Prepare partitions.jpg
    Now I dont know if this is because I did something wrong along the way but I cant find my 25GB partition I made although I assume its in there with /dev/sda4 (possibly showing up with the RECOVERY (D drive?) anyways I dont know what to do at all from this point. I also noticed that the "new partition table..." option at the bottom is only available when i'm on the /dev/sda1 drive thing and when I am on any of the others my only options that I can click are the ones shown here:prepare partition-option.jpg
    so "add..." is never avaliable.

I hope someone can help me out here its been driving me crazy. I just want to use the AMAZING backtrack!
    ps: I really hope this is in the right area in the forum..?
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate

Default Re: Backtrack 5 r3 hardrive partition/installation (Dual boot Win.7)

I think I would start off by saying that if you are completely new to Linux, you are going to find using BT5 very hard indeed. It is a complete no-hand-holding OS, and perhaps not the best to learn on - starting with something like Ubuntu may be better for you.

In terms of dual-booting BT with Windows, why didn't you simply follow the instructions on this BackTrack Wiki page?

Just burned his ISO

hey..one partition table is for 3 or 4 partition .ur just need to make new partition table. make partition table like 2 mb ....etc. <==sorry noob english

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by rastamouse View Post
    I think I would start off by saying that if you are completely new to Linux, you are going to find using BT5 very hard indeed. It is a complete no-hand-holding OS, and perhaps not the best to learn on - starting with something like Ubuntu may be better for you.

In terms of dual-booting BT with Windows, why didn't you simply follow the instructions on this BackTrack Wiki page?
    Well, I have already been running Backtrack of of the live cd and I really like using and learning about it's HUGE selection of tools which is why I wanted to install it, however the problems im having arent really a backtrack problem but an installation problem.
    Also in reference to your link I have looked at that page several times and my installer doesn't look like that (doesn't have the same options after step 3)
    you can see in my pictures my only options are "erase and use entire disk" and "specify partitions manually". Now this is likely due to the fact that it isnt reading any free space but I do not know why as I have made a 25GB partition for it as I mentioned. So im thinking maybe I didn't partition correctly or perhaps I didnt finish in a way that would allow the backtrack installer to read it as free, usable, space. I also dont have the slider on the bottom bar that gives you the option of how much space you want backtrack to have.. if you look at the pictures I posted you can see the differences.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

It seems to me like you have a mess in your hard drive..You have a W7 loader???? and a Vista Loader?????..Well..First, fix that..Then we can continue helping...You must have a Windows 7 OS, then the rest of partitions as Recovery and others if aplicable..

Once you do that, the rest is easy...

Luck....

Just burned their ISO

Angry Re: Backtrack 5 r3 hardrive partition/installation (Dual boot Win.7)

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    It seems to me like you have a mess in your hard drive..You have a W7 loader???? and a Vista Loader?????..Well..First, fix that..Then we can continue helping...You must have a Windows 7 OS, then the rest of partitions as Recovery and others if aplicable..

Once you do that, the rest is easy...

Luck....
    I read about that when I was searching for information, I read somewhere that windows 7 and windows vista almost use the same boot manager. This Laptop shouldnt actually have it installed on it thought because we bought it Brand new pre-loaded with windows 7, im not a big fan of HP right now -_-

Just burned his ISO

Make sure to create all partitions within Windows and don't create them in the Linux installation software, this may lead to messing up your MBR. At least it use to cause those problems.

Just burned their ISO

Hello everyone, it might be late to answer this, but at least I can share how I fix the problem. Not too long ago I had a similar situation. Same set up installed win7 then I boot into BT5r3 and try to install and the only option I had was to wipe the entire HD. Then I was reasearching and I went to disk management and right click on the HD and choose shrink volume. I shrink the C drive to leave 30 Gb to install BT5. Then I rebooted into BT5 and tried the install it again and now gave the option to install side by side with no problems. It went to the install and now I can choose my OS. I hope this helps

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Make sure to create all partitions within Windows and don't create them in the Linux installation software, this may lead to messing up your MBR. At least it use to cause those problems.
    I do not agree with you at all, my friend. Certainly people who has done that and something goes wrong, it is user fault due to missuse, missunderstood the use of...If you have a smartphone, a LCD or LED TV, a dishnetwork ird or DVR, a Router, an intelligent Fridge, all of that and much more are Linux programmed or linux based. Firmwares....

So I think with all due respect to your stand point of view, that almost every single linux app is stable...