Thread: How to edit mbr

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default How to edit mbr

the only way im able to boot into backtrack 5 r3 is to use supergrub2 disk , i can find in the form search so im asking here , how do i edit the mbr so grub2 boots fisrt when i turn on my laptop?

EDIT: my other post did not show up yet but i just realized i have an efi system i found a folder namend efi in recovery and a file called bootmgr.efi and i remember reading grub2 doesnt support efi, so is there a guide on here that can tell me how to set up grub4dos? or grub legacy?
    Last edited by leeffm; 11-09-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: found new info

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: How to edit mbr

I do not think you can. MBR are the first 512K of HDD, where Grub or Winbugs loader are written. You can manage the grub2 thou..But can you be more specific as to what is your problem and if you have dual boot or just single boot?...Windows and BT5 ir just windows, or any linux distro...

Luck..

Just burned their ISO

im running dual boot windows 7 and backtrack 5 r3 gnome , i can boot into backtrack only because i have a cd with super grub disk burned to it , ive tried to update grub an reinstall grub but my computer will not boot grub, ive tried easybcd to put grub in the windows bootloader but that did not work.

but if i cant boot grub then ill just make do with super grub disk.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by leeffm View Post
    the only way im able to boot into backtrack 5 r3 is to use supergrub2 disk , i can find in the form search so im asking here , how do i edit the mbr so grub2 boots fisrt when i turn on my laptop?
    If you chose the option to install side by side.and you are using BT5.then at the start up,you should be able to choose between the two.if not.maybe the time for you to choose is set on a short time (1sec).if that is the case then i have read i other forums that you hold on to the shift button after bios them you can choose with no time limit.