Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 5 R3: Wicd "Bad password"

Just burned their ISO

Default Backtrack 5 R3: Wicd "Bad password"

Hey everyone,

I'm using Backtrack 5, R3 and an Alfa AWUS036NHR adaptor. It seems to work fine, and I can put it to monitor mode and I've succesfully used (e.g.) Reaver a few times. However, I can't seem to connect to (encrypted) wireless networks, at least using Wicd. I've enabled encryption in my network's properties, tried both PSK and Pass Phrase, and I'm sure it's the right password, but it always returns a 'Bad Password' error. I'm using the wext wpa supplicant driver (as recommended).

Many of the solutions in threads covering the same problem simply cause Wicd to stop interacting with my adaptor and not show networks at all anymore, so I'm running out of ideas. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Default Re: Backtrack 5 R3: Wicd "Bad password"

Quote Originally Posted by Tjalling View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm using Backtrack 5, R3 and an Alfa AWUS036NHR adaptor. It seems to work fine, and I can put it to monitor mode and I've succesfully used (e.g.) Reaver a few times. However, I can't seem to connect to (encrypted) wireless networks, at least using Wicd. I've enabled encryption in my network's properties, tried both PSK and Pass Phrase, and I'm sure it's the right password, but it always returns a 'Bad Password' error. I'm using the wext wpa supplicant driver (as recommended).

Many of the solutions in threads covering the same problem simply cause Wicd to stop interacting with my adaptor and not show networks at all anymore, so I'm running out of ideas. Any assistance would be appreciated!
    Yes, Wicd cannot connect to some routers. Maybe it is her bug. I have email to the author about 2 years ago but still not fix it yet.

I think you may consider to install the gnome version network manager to replace Wicd.

Samiux
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.

Just burned his ISO

I get this error as well sometimes. Is it possible to use a different networkmanager? If yes, which do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Persuadatron View Post
    I get this error as well sometimes. Is it possible to use a different networkmanager? If yes, which do you recommend?
    I would suggest you to install BackTrack in a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox or VMWare. The problem will be solved then.

Samiux
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    I would suggest you to install BackTrack in a virtual machine, such as VirtualBox or VMWare. The problem will be solved then.

Samiux
    I have my BT5r3 in VMWare and have the exact same issue. This problem seems more related to the drivers of the fancy NHR card.

What exactly was running it virtually going to do to fix the drivers issue?

apt-get install -y NHR_actually_connect_to_a_network

getting tired of this card quick.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by heroin View Post
    I have my BT5r3 in VMWare and have the exact same issue. This problem seems more related to the drivers of the fancy NHR card.

apt-get install -y NHR_actually_connect_to_a_network

getting tired of this card quick.
    Has anyone gotten this problem resolved? I've actually been connecting to the same Wifi network as my coworkers, and all of a sudden I've just started receiving the Bad Password issue. Of course I'm probably the only one that updates BackTrack regularly... so not sure which update caused this or how to fix it.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

have you tried using wep encryption?..Try it..If it works we might be looking at a possible bug with WPA-WPA2, wicd and rtl8188RU chipset..

Also you might want to download BT5r1 and see if wpa-wpa2 works...

try it and post.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    have you tried using wep encryption?..Try it..If it works we might be looking at a possible bug with WPA-WPA2, wicd and rtl8188RU chipset..

Also you might want to download BT5r1 and see if wpa-wpa2 works...

try it and post.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that restarting the router worked for me.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Try again what you did (restarting the router) . See if it works again..Also reboot the machine.

Please post your wifi card, chipset and BT5 version used (r1, r2, r3 and .ISO, VM, USB)

Thanx for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by heroin View Post
    Nothing. But the idea is that you connect wirelessly to the AP on the host, and then bridge the connection to the VM, thus wirelessly connecting BT to the network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast