Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GT 650m with OPTIMUS technology. help needed

Just burned their ISO

Default NVIDIA GT 650m with OPTIMUS technology. help needed

Please advise how to properly install NVIDIA GT650m card. There was is no problem with other NVIDIA gt 240m (48 cuda cores only : pyrit benchmark 3300 PMKs per second) on my older laptop, but today I've bought expensive machine (Intel core i7, 8 gb ram, nvidia gt 650m 2 gb 384 cuda cores...) with this card for better pyrit performance. Nouveau was disabled, latests drivers was downloaded from nvidia.com, installed, boot/grub.cfg modifided as before, but after reboot : FATAL ERROR screen not found. I've tried to google this problem, not to many results yet, some forums said that it will not be supported for Linux... I don't want to believe on that. Can somebody tell me - will it ever work on Backtrack >??? thanks in advance.

Default Re: NVIDIA GT 650m with OPTIMUS technology. help needed

Quote Originally Posted by dobermann1601 View Post
    Please advise how to properly install NVIDIA GT650m card. There was is no problem with other NVIDIA gt 240m (48 cuda cores only : pyrit benchmark 3300 PMKs per second) on my older laptop, but today I've bought expensive machine (Intel core i7, 8 gb ram, nvidia gt 650m 2 gb 384 cuda cores...) with this card for better pyrit performance. Nouveau was disabled, latests drivers was downloaded from nvidia.com, installed, boot/grub.cfg modifided as before, but after reboot : FATAL ERROR screen not found. I've tried to google this problem, not to many results yet, some forums said that it will not be supported for Linux... I don't want to believe on that. Can somebody tell me - will it ever work on Backtrack >??? thanks in advance.
    Hope this tutorial may help.

Samiux
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Please, do not edit or touch /boot/grub.cfg...I stronghly recommend that before doing something, read...Read about grub2..It is clearly stated "Do not edit grug.cfg as you might end up having unpredictable behavior, even fail to boot"..There are ways to do it my friend..It must be only modify by update-grub.

Some questions: What video card is being used by default?..Can you disable one of them?..

One piece of advice: read laptop user's manual, get to know what you have,how to work with it and then you decide what to do or what card to use if applicable.

Luck...

Just burned their ISO

Pretty much if all you want to do is utilize your GPU for its performance to help for cracking, use this tutorial; http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48331

Hey mav, most nvidia cards have optimus tech on them, so editing the grub is a must for those special beasts...

The Nvidia-xorg settings that it does automatically are total crap! It doesnt even specify the PCI location of the GPU!!! Thats why everyone posts issues about no screens detected and such.
    Just find the PCI location of your card, using 'lspci', find your card, write down or remember the PCI location, xx:xx:xx eg "01:00:0", edit your xorg.conf, "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf", identify the device section, and the last line of the section put in,

"BusId" "PCI:01:00:0"

Using the quotations and use tab to space them apart.

then CRTL X, yes to changes and its updated to find the card!

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by samiux View Post
    Hope this tutorial may help.

Samiux
    Hi Samiux

I have tried your method with no luck. Are you meant to run step 1 before installing Backtrack to HDD
    Step 1 :

When bootup in the "Boot Option Menu", press "Tab" (Other version of Linux will be different) and append the following to the end of the kernel option line :

text splash vga=791 i915.modeset=1 nomodeset

*** Remarks : "i915.modeset=1 nomodest" is for Optimus only. If nVidia GeForce, just need "nomodeset".

If YES Is there a way around this if Backtrack is already installed? I am not getting black screen on fresh install just cant get Nvidia drivers to work. I get Xorg errors if i try old method for nvidia install.

PC: Intel HM76 chipset
    Samsung Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 3610QM (2.30Hz, 6MB L3 Cache)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphics, Optimus™ technology 2GB DDR3
    6GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,600MHz (4GB x 1 + 2GB x 1)

Any help would be appreciated....
    summaluva

yep. if BT is already installed do this:http://allitsecurity.blogspot.pt/201...ng-startx.html
    After the image!

Quote Originally Posted by summaluva View Post
    Hi Samiux

I have tried your method with no luck. Are you meant to run step 1 before installing Backtrack to HDD
    Step 1 :

When bootup in the "Boot Option Menu", press "Tab" (Other version of Linux will be different) and append the following to the end of the kernel option line :

text splash vga=791 i915.modeset=1 nomodeset

*** Remarks : "i915.modeset=1 nomodest" is for Optimus only. If nVidia GeForce, just need "nomodeset".

If YES Is there a way around this if Backtrack is already installed? I am not getting black screen on fresh install just cant get Nvidia drivers to work. I get Xorg errors if i try old method for nvidia install.

PC: Intel HM76 chipset
    Samsung Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 3610QM (2.30Hz, 6MB L3 Cache)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphics, Optimus™ technology 2GB DDR3
    6GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,600MHz (4GB x 1 + 2GB x 1)

Any help would be appreciated....
    summaluva
    Skip Step 1.

Samiux

Just burned their ISO

Thanks everyone for replying. Before trying bumpleebe soft, I found another way - to install cuda 5.0 together with lates nvidia drivers, upon reboot and start up I did not updated nvidia-xconfig, Next I install pyrit etc, so benchmark for nvidia 650m is 6000. and 4000 for 8 cores of i7. (total 10000) I've expected more . Can somebody tell me is it could be higher if GPU properly installed>? (with bumplebee software and updated nvidia-xconfig file). What is benchmark rate on others computer with same grafic card inside>?

Thanks everyone for replying. Before trying bumpleebe soft, I found another way - to install cuda 5.0 together with lates nvidia drivers, upon reboot and start up I did not updated nvidia-xconfig, Next I install pyrit etc, so benchmark for nvidia 650m is 6000. and 4000 for 8 cores of i7. (total 10000) I've expected more . Can somebody tell me is it could be higher if GPU properly installed>? (with bumplebee software and updated nvidia-xconfig file). What is benchmark rate on others computer with same grafic card inside>?
    Mobile version graphic card is less perform than the desktop one. Meanwhile, in term of password cracking, AMD Radeon is faster than nVidia GeForce.

Samiux
    Last edited by samiux; 11-06-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: fix typo

Just burned their ISO

yeah bud that seems right.

Like Sam was saying, its because its a lappy, much more powerful it was a desktop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast