I'm running a BT5 R2 with Gnome 2.3 on an Acer Aspire One d270.
When I try to hibernate, what happens is that the screen turns black and shows a white _ in the upper left corner. When I try to suspend, it freezes for a few seconds and then the system acts as if nothing ever happened. It doesn't suspend and I can keep on working like before.
I couldn't find anything in the logs. For hibernate and suspend, they look pretty much the same:
The only difference between hibernate and suspend is that the suspend part has two additional lines:
Initial commandline parameters:
Mon Oct 29 15:00:17 CET 2012: Running hooks for hibernate.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate:Linux bt 3.2.6 #2 SMP Sat Apr 21 23:15:23 CEST 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
Module Size Used by
dm_crypt 22236 0
joydev 17161 0
lp 13321 0
parport 34960 1 lp
arc4 12473 2
ath9k 119585 0
mac80211 410313 1 ath9k
psb_gfx 235975 1
ath9k_common 13396 1 ath9k
ath9k_hw 387726 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
drm_kms_helper 30737 1 psb_gfx
drm 183453 4 psb_gfx,drm_kms_helper
ath 18480 3 ath9k,ath9k_common,ath9k_hw
cfg80211 160399 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
rts_pstor 350011 0
i2c_algo_bit 12980 1 psb_gfx
acer_wmi 23102 0
sparse_keymap 13342 1 acer_wmi
psmouse 72465 0
serio_raw 13027 0
mac_hid 13037 0
uvcvideo 66101 0
videodev 82668 1 uvcvideo
dm_mirror 21585 0
dm_region_hash 15035 1 dm_mirror
dm_log 17871 2 dm_mirror,dm_region_hash
aufs 162169 0
wmi 18273 1 acer_wmi
video 18434 1 psb_gfx
r8169 46895 0
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1013636 834044 179592 0 22020 387476
-/+ buffers/cache: 424548 589088
Swap: 2969596 18836 2950760
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01PulseAudio hibernate hibernate:stdin: is not a tty
stdin: is not a tty
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/91wicd hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/action_wpa hibernate hibernate:success.
Mon Oct 29 15:00:21 CET 2012: performing hibernate
I tried a few fixes that I've found online:
Allocated buffer at 0x2010 (base is 0x0)
ES: 0x0201 EBX: 0x0000
But neither worked and I didn't really find other solutions. Most entries I'd find were issues where the system couldn't resume from hibernation or suspend, but mine doesn't even get that far.
This problem occurred right after the installation.