Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Website cloning problem

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Website cloning problem

So you running a BackTrack VM guest in VirtualBox on a Windows 7 host, right? What network mode are you using for the VM? What is your host IP address?

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy View Post
    So you running a BackTrack VM guest in VirtualBox on a Windows 7 host, right? What network mode are you using for the VM? What is your host IP address?
    Yes that's right. I'm using a modem if that's what you're asking and my LAN card is Atheros AR8151 PCI-E,
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address: ‎00-25-22-XX-XX-XX
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    IPv4 Address: 46.55.135.92
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Lease Obtained: Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:28:18 AM
    Lease Expires: Friday, November 02, 2012 4:08:18 AM
    IPv4 Default Gateway: 46.55.128.1
    IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.10.2
    IPv4 DNS Servers: 46.55.222.38, 46.55.222.6
    IPv4 WINS Server:
    NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::54b:d783:1b8a:fd61%12
    IPv6 Default Gateway:
    IPv6 DNS Server:

Just burned their ISO

That's interesting, but that's a public (outward facing) IP address (ripe in Bulgaria I believe). Is that what you got on your Windows 7 box? If that is the case, then I don't really know what to say. (I wouldn't put my Win7 box directly on the Internet. This is a public forum too.) I suppose you can create another VM (Windows or Linux) in the same VirtualBox, and access your spoofed site from there. But assuming that the above is not your Windows host machine, then read on... If it is your windows host machine, then get with your provider to make absolutely sure you are behind a local/private firewall and router before you proceed. (Your cable modem(?) should provide all that.)

When you created your BackTrack VM, you selected a networking mode. I've stopped using VirtualBox in favor of VMWare Workstation, but the network modes are primarily the same: host-only, NAT, and bridged (NAT by default). Does that sound familiar? (Don't mess with the other modes for now.) On your "host," the machine running VirtualBox (your Win7 box if I understand you), open a command shell and type "ipconfig". What does it say? If the IP address doesn't start with 10.0.2., your VM is probably in NAT mode. If that is the case, edit the VM properties, and change it to bridged. Then start over using your new BT IP address It will now start the same as the Win 7 IP.. (When I say IP, I mean specifically IPv4.)

Just forget about 127.0.0.1; it's very handy, but it isn't helping you here. If you can see your spoofed web site from the BT machine that is hosting it using that machines IP address (10.0.2.15), then that part is working and we are dealing with a network issue. That is why I keep asking about your network modes and IP addresses.

Although I'm now fairly certain that your host is your Win7 box, you still haven't told me your host IP, or your (BT) VM network mode. (But I've deduced that latter.)

I read a little about VirtualBox (you should too, at the above link) and confirmed that you are almost certainly running your VM in NAT mode. That effectively means that all the NAT hosts running in the VM are on their own separate network but routed through your host all the way to the internet. Though the VMs (e.g. your BT VM) can see the host and the internet, the reverse is not true.

I hope you can follow all this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12