Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another wireless issue thread --- Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Another wireless issue thread --- Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)

I just installed backtrack 5 r3 and was doing some searching to find out how to get the wireless working. I also have the Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 chipset. I found this out two ways. In linux with lspci (as the original poster listed above). Among the output was 'Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)'. Searching that online will quickly reveal that it is the Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230. In Windows you can go into the device manager and look for network adapters, then right-click on the wireless adapter and choose 'properties'. The 'properties' box will pop up. In the 'details' tab there's a drop-down menu under the word 'property'. Click on that and choose 'hardware id'. This showed me a string of characters and in that string was VEN_8086&DEV_0887. VEN_8086 is the vendor (Intel). DEV_0887 is the device number for that adapter. Searching VEN_8086&DEV_0887 online gave me the name of my wireless chipset and led me to the second of the two threads listed below.

Anyways, I can now see available wireless networks in Wicd (only one reboot so far, I'll post if I have any problems).
    I did it with the information I found in the following threads:
    .................................................. .............................
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...hp/Basic_Usage
    says:
    Notice that when starting WICD you will get an error: Could not connect to Wicd's dbus interface
    Then it says:
    In order to get rid of this error you have to reboot Backtrack, then BEFORE starting WICD open up a terminal and type in the following:
    root@bt:~# dpkg-reconfigure wicd
    root@bt:~# update-rc.d wicd defaults

Now after a reboot the error should not occur anymore.
    This stopped the error but still there was still nothing to connect to.
    Which leads me to the next thread.
    .................................................. .............................
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=55496

In one of the code boxes (in section 3) there is a command that downloads a folder (iwlwifi-2030-ucode-18.168.6.1) containing the iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode driver (aka module, in linux terms). I manually went to the site (http://distfiles.exherbo.org/distfil...18.168.6.1.tgz), downloaded it, and extracted the contents. The in a terminal I copied the driver ( iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode ) to /lib/firmware (while in the directory where the file is I used the command: sudo cp iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode /lib/firmware ).
    Reboot
    Then (quoted from the thread):

Next you will have to open Wicd Network Manager (default in Backtrack) go to Preferences and at the Wireless Interface ad "wlan0" (or what other interface you have) !! Reboot and now your wifi should work !!
    Now ... the Aircrack tools "work" after this but at first glance:
    - there is no channel hopping ... the channel is fixed on channel 1 even if you specify --cswitch (I will have to investigate further but i don`t have the time now)
    - didn't test to see if injection and everything else works But I will asap !
    The guys username is co4ie

I tried the command he lists to fix the audio issue but it didn't work for me.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Another wireless issue thread --- Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)

The driver for the Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 can also be found at
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...wifi?p=iwlwifi

Right at the bottom of the page is the download for the 2230. Lots of information on the page as well. Although I'm unclear about the difference between firmware and drivers.
    On that page it says
    The driver loads the firmware using the kernel's firmware_class infrastructure.
    A few times I've had pages unable to load. Even when I've got ethernet plugged in and 'connected', sometimes pages will not load (I have to disconnect and reconnect in Wicd and then the pages load). I'll have to do some more reading on firmware loading (whether it's enabled in my kernel) and the modprobe commands that people are mentioning (although I see no mention of modprobe on the Linux Wireless page, the one I linked to above). I've also got to do some reading in the ubuntu community documentation. I'll post again if I have any questions.

Another lspci command for finding out what hardware you have: lspci -n | grep xx:xx.x (where the x's are taken from the output of lspci | grep -i [word to look for]).
    For example
    Code:
    root@bt:~# lspci | grep -i network
    07:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)
    root@bt:~# lspci -n | grep 07:00.0
    07:00.0 0280: 8086:0887 (rev c4)
    The same information can be found in the windows device manager but is listed among a string of characters as VEN_8086&DEV_0887.

Just burned their ISO

I'm able to install this driver, get wlan0 enabled, as well as getting it into monitored mode. I can crack WEP keys, and everything works fine. The only problem is that when this driver is installed, the GUI for fern-wifi-cracker and gerix-wifi-cracker don't work. Anyone know the problem? Without this driver, the GUI's work, but the program doesn't.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ShortKidd View Post
    I'm able to install this driver, get wlan0 enabled, as well as getting it into monitored mode. I can crack WEP keys, and everything works fine. The only problem is that when this driver is installed, the GUI for fern-wifi-cracker and gerix-wifi-cracker don't work. Anyone know the problem? Without this driver, the GUI's work, but the program doesn't.
    how have you managed to do this?

i've done all from the instruction, but it still doesn't work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12