Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem with BT2 final in Vmware

Just burned his ISO

Default problem with BT2 final in Vmware

Hi,

Got a problem when trying to install BT2 final to vmware workstation 5.

I believe i followed the howto/faq, here's my steps:

1. in vmware, create a new virtual machine, 8G, IDE
    2. mount the BT2 final iso and boot with no problem.
    3. after root login, fdisk /dev/hda, make /dev/hda1, 7G, active, /dev/hda2, 1G, linux swap.
    4. mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1 ( i also tried mdex2fs, same problem)
    5. mkdir /mnt/hda1, mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    6. from K-sysem-backtrack install, source /boot, dest /mnt/hda1, mbr /dev/hda, real install
    7. start install, everything looks fine.
    8. shutdown -h now
    9. umount CD in vmware.
    10. power on vmware again, nothing...system cant boot

anyboday can help on this??

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

Default more

forgot to mention there was only 2 files in /dev/hda1/boot, couldnt recall the name, but no vmlinuz there...is this OK? sorry i'm a linux newbie

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by nspeace View Post
    Hi,

Got a problem when trying to install BT2 final to vmware workstation 5.

I believe i followed the howto/faq, here's my steps:

1. in vmware, create a new virtual machine, 8G, IDE
    2. mount the BT2 final iso and boot with no problem.
    3. after root login, fdisk /dev/hda, make /dev/hda1, 7G, active, /dev/hda2, 1G, linux swap.
    4. mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1 ( i also tried mdex2fs, same problem)
    5. mkdir /mnt/hda1, mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    6. from K-sysem-backtrack install, source /boot, dest /mnt/hda1, mbr /dev/hda, real install
    7. start install, everything looks fine.
    8. shutdown -h now
    9. umount CD in vmware.
    10. power on vmware again, nothing...system cant boot

anyboday can help on this??

Thanks,
    you do not need all this steps!,exclude steps from nr.3 to end!,just read manual fot VMware!.,and check out forum re:WMware.It will be virtual disk created by Wmware by default,if you want to save changes in virtual machine,just give rights WMware to save changes to you hard disk.
    (manual for Wmware).
    P.S.=or just do it better-install on hard drive like second system using
    BT2 installer,check out forum.

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Similar VMWARE problem

Hi guys

I'm having a similar (or maybe the same) problem.

I created a new virtual machine, booted it with the Backtrack2 Live CD, from the command prompt, followed the tutorial word-for-word for partitioning the disk, creating the file system, mounting to /tmp, etc..

and then starting x and doing a "hd install". It did the entire install (stalled at 80% just like the tutorial said) and completed.

I then rebooted the virtual machine and all I get is a black screen. The VM bios is set to boot from the HD.

Not sure what to do from here. Any advice would be appreciated and it seems like others would benefit from this advice too.

Thanks
    Nathalie

Just burned his ISO

Arrow BT2 VMWare Installation

I got BT2 installed in VMWare by choosing an IDE drive when creating the VM. Then, followed the manual installation of a slax disc instructions.

The key was when executing lilo to edit the lilo.conf file (/etc/lilo.conf) and remove the boot message line entirely.

I suspect the problem is that there are errors when using the Backtrack installer during the lilo installation and the interface doesn't report them. I have been meaning to try this lilo edit after the using the tool but haven't yet.

After you edit the lilo file you have to rerun lilo at the command prompt to submit the changes.

In muts dual-boot installation video he mentions this step at the very end; that bt doesn't have a boot message and to remove it.

Just burned his ISO

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I then downloaded the vmware-tools.lzm module and using lzm2dir with the destination as /

VMWare complains it is an old version of the tools, but it works so I don't mind.

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks, a few more questions

Thanks for your help.

Sorry if these questions sound really dumb, but:

1) in the PDF tutorial, it shows that we're mounting the partitions to /tmp and installing to /tmp/mk2

In another tutorial (Howto:Install_GUI) it shows installing to /mnt/backtrack

I'm guessing it doesn't really matter where as the installer sets up the correct boot options right?

Now, regarding your advice,

Quote Originally Posted by vyrix View Post
    The key was when executing lilo to edit the lilo.conf file (/etc/lilo.conf) and remove the boot message line entirely.

I suspect the problem is that there are errors when using the Backtrack installer during the lilo installation and the interface doesn't report them. I have been meaning to try this lilo edit after the using the tool but haven't yet.
    Thanks for the help.... do I remove this line only?

message = /boot/boot_message.txt

I only see this entry before doing the hard drive installation of BK2. But can't save any changes at that point anyway.

After I do the HD install, lilo.conf doesn't show the above line anymore.

I think I see the problem though but am not sure exactly what to change or add.

This is on a virtual machine, so it's just this, no windows install.

Yet the lilo.conf shows some windows options, I guess I delete those. But I don't see any messages entry.

I'm not clear on exactly what changes to make to lilo.conf before I reboot the system after doing the HD install.

As a reminder, this is on a vmware machine, which I have now created per your advice as IDE drive. I selected 'Other Linux' and then booted directly to the backtrack ISO.

Is this correct or do I need to install a Linux OS first?

Thanks
    Nat

Just burned his ISO

yes you can remove the windows stuff, keep the upper stuff. 'cept the boot msg, and remove everything but the linux boot parameters.

when you run linux it should say linux* or something like that.

Just burned his ISO

Default patch yet?

Hi all,

I'm having trouble running BT2 from a vmware session as well. followed pdf instructions, reboot, bt will not boot from hard disk -> no vmlinuz file etc.

As anyone fixed this yet and willing to share the steps taken?

or,, does someone still has a download link for bt2 beta ? it seems the iso disappeared from all mirrors in favour of the final version.

thanks,

Maarten.

Just burned his ISO

Default got it booting in vmware from harddisk

Hi all,

after copying the entire /boot/ dir to my harddisk install , performed a chroot /mnt/sda3 and reran /sbin/lilo, it booted from disk after a reboot.

Maarten.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast