Thread: Need to set my desktop up so i can access / test vbox's with a labtop via wifi router

Just burned their ISO

Default Need to set my desktop up so i can access / test vbox's with a labtop via wifi router

I'm sure there are a hundred ways to do this setup but very simply, my desktop is a very decent 2 monitor setup running 11.10 desktop and i want to load up two or so Virtualbox distro's and park them in my second monitor to create a network ( desktop is hooked via eth0 to my wireless router ) and i would like to be able to access these machines for testing etc with my laptop running bt5. Never had to network before so im not all to sure what im doing here and it seems to me there must be a simple way to do this so i can work from my laptop over the wifi and access the homemade riged up network. Do i need to run server for this or can i virtual network it and how do i get past my router. Yes i have turned off firewall, im not connected to the internet when doing this and i've taken off the wep security. no go. Any help would be awesome. I did also install bt5 on a dual boot with my desktop just in case but i think cracking the router and messing with my network will be much better from the laptop. thanks for any advice.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Need to set my desktop up so i can access / test vbox's with a labtop via wifi ro

there is a way to do so, when you go into vbox settings for the machine that you are going to load up under network you want to select bridged and then it will have access to the physical network and you can do this while running multiple virtual machines too.

Banned

Thank you for your valuable information.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-23-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: Need to set my desktop up so i can access / test vbox's with a labtop via wifi ro

Thanks, If anyone else is doing this I have DSL mounted and it runs off of nothing. Nice way to stack up a fake network.