Thread: NVIDIA "no screens" error

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default NVIDIA "no screens" error

Installed BT5-R3 and installed NVIDIA drive and got "no screens" error. I have been trying to work on this myself for the past 2 weeks, and have not been able to resolve it, so I need some help. I have searched, read, and tried everything I could find, with no luck. From what I have gathered I guess it may have to do with intel and NVIDIA together? I tried some things that fixed others issues, but did not work for me.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @2.3GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

I didn't copy info from log, but did from the main error screen. I am just in the middle of work while switched over to Windows 7 on the same computer. Just thought I would post this up first in case someone had any new ideas to try. Will come back and post log, when I get a break.

Default Re: NVIDIA "no screens" error

Quote Originally Posted by Monistat7 View Post
    Installed BT5-R3 and installed NVIDIA drive and got "no screens" error. I have been trying to work on this myself for the past 2 weeks, and have not been able to resolve it, so I need some help. I have searched, read, and tried everything I could find, with no luck. From what I have gathered I guess it may have to do with intel and NVIDIA together? I tried some things that fixed others issues, but did not work for me.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

I didn't copy info from log, but did from the main error screen. I am just in the middle of work while switched over to Windows 7 on the same computer. Just thought I would post this up first in case someone had any new ideas to try. Will come back and post log, when I get a break.
    I think you may interested in this tutorial.

Samiux
    Think like a criminal and act as a professional.

Just burned his ISO

Just letting you know I am trying this out. Been behind on work. As of now it is not working but I am trying to figure it out. I'll update once I get somewhere with this. Thanks.

-- Did a little more work on this and was able to get it working all the way through, but still cannot change my screen resolution. Says I only have one option. I have been searching for fixes, but have not found anything yet. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I will update if I find anything that works. Thanks.
    Last edited by Monistat7; 11-02-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

At the end, what driver are you using? i915, nouveau? Nvidia propietary?..the driver will give you the feature to change resolution...Need more info...

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Monistat7 View Post

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

Ive been trying also, but i realised that when you let nvidia automatically update the xorg.conf, it doesnt update it properly! It does not locate and update the xorg.conf to add your GPUs' PCI location!

What you have to do is locate Bus id of your graphics card,
    Code:
    lspci
    find your gpu pci, it will have a bus id in front of it, looking similar to,
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVdia corporation Device 1058 (rev a1)
    Now, edit your xorg.conf,
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    scroll down until you see the device section, talking about your nvidia card, then in the last line of that device section, put the following line in, (marked in bold) like so,
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BusID	   "PCI:01:00:0"
    CTRL + X, yes to save and changes.

its now updated to find the graphics card; no more "No Screens detected" error

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Leifx View Post
    Ive been trying also, but i realised that when you let nvidia automatically update the xorg.conf, it doesnt update it properly! It does not locate and update the xorg.conf to add your GPUs' PCI location!

What you have to do is locate Bus id of your graphics card,
    Code:
    lspci
    find your gpu pci, it will have a bus id in front of it, looking similar to,
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVdia corporation Device 1058 (rev a1)
    Now, edit your xorg.conf,
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    scroll down until you see the device section, talking about your nvidia card, then in the last line of that device section, put the following line in, (marked in bold) like so,
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BusID	   "PCI:01:00:0"
    CTRL + X, yes to save and changes.

its now updated to find the graphics card; no more "No Screens detected" error
    I did this and now when start "startx" I heard the music and all I could see was a black screen Please help me I've re install BT5 so many times in attempt to install the drivers using all kinds of methods and nothing helps

I've tried :

add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

apt-get update
    apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

Reboot then nvidia-xconfig

apt-get install compiz compiz-fusion-plugins-extra emerald simple-ccsm fusion-icon

#echo options nouveau modeset=0 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conft
    #update-initramfs -u

# init 3

# sh <Nvidiafilename>.run

I've tried all the solutions that I could find on the internet but with no success i always get "no screen found" error

I am using Nvidia GT540m with intel i7 2nd Gen. with integrated graphics and I hope thats not the problem. I have BT5 r3 KDE x64

I will be very thankful to whoever find a solution to this problem.

Thanks

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

See if noveau is blacklisted. Please, can you post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf complete. I want to see the monitor section..

Just burned their ISO

This is my xorg file but have in mind that I have deleted the one from nvidia because of the "no screen found" error in order to load X.

nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 310.19 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-08.nvidia.com) Thu Nov 8 02:09:12 PST 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

At the moment I can see that I've installed the nvidia X settings but when I open it, it tells me that I am not using nvidia X driver and to enable it to type nvidia-xconfig. However when I do that I get the "no screen found error".

Just burned his ISO

do you try

fix -splash