Thread: Install issues

Just burned his ISO

Default Install issues

My apologies on the trivial subject. Cannot install from iso. Here is what I have done:

Followed instructions from here:
    http://www.hackavision.com/2011/06/s...cktrack-5.html

- Downloaded (3 diff times) R3 GNOME 32 ISO Direct.
    - Formatted 8Gb thumb drive (FAT32)
    - Used UnetBootin to put the iso to the formatted USB drive; success
    - Download attempt #1 (from torrent), when booting w/ F12, selected USB drive, USB flashes, then bypasses right into Windows. Did not check md5 before file deleted.
    - Download attempt #2 (from Direct), UnetBottin transfer success, same result (boots into windows).
    - Downloaded fciv.exe to check md5 checksum of the iso file downloaded. Download #2 does not match md5 checksum listed on download page.
    - Download attempt #3 (from Direct), md5 exactly the same as download #2 (different from advertised checksum).
    - Loaded iso on DVD at 2x speed (slowest option) w/ data validity check success; reboot w/ F12 not expecting it to work; Selected DVD-ROM; then I get a Linux header on line 1 with a fast blinking cursor on line 2. That is it. It hangs there indefinitely. No options given.

Platform used is IBM T61; 32bit; WinXP SP3

Any ideas? Could it be issue with R3?

Thanks in advance.

Tim C.

Default Re: Install issues

If it was an issue with R3 in general, then a whole lot more people would be having this problem. I'm not sure what to say... You've already told us that the checksum is wrong...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    If it was an issue with R3 in general, then a whole lot more people would be having this problem. I'm not sure what to say... You've already told us that the checksum is wrong...
    well I definitely was thinking the same thing, but that doesn't explain the 2 exact checksums. Perhaps I should play the lottery.

I suppose I'm looking for someone who has had issues with r3 and maybe had to download it many, many times. I cannot assume the download failed if I get the same result every time.

In the mean time I'll try it again...

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

I also have this problem and have just posted a thread on it.

Seeing as you posted yesterday and I downloaded today, I'm
    thinking that within the past 24-48 hours the guys here have
    either had a server problem or someone has replaced the downloads...

Sorry I can't be more helpful, if I figured out how to get it to work
    I will let you know, I ask you do the same thing.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

If it does not boot from usb it is because it is not booteable USB, perhaps the grub did not installed correctly...From DVD, it seems to me like hardware issue, maybe video issues..But need to be more specific as to harware used (Video card, laptop specs,).

I quote: "Used UnetBootin to put the iso to the formatted USB drive; success"..Success on what? Installing iso in USB or booting from USB?...Be more clear....

How do you know grub2 installed correctly in usb?...??????

If bypasses into windows it means the Bios bootstrap did not find the loader (GRUB2) to continue the boot process and checks the boot option ( bios), so it goes to HD...

Sorry, but your post is confusing..

Luck..

Just burned his ISO

Maverick,

From what I gathered from the step by step instructions, I thought Unetbootin made it a bootable image on a USB drive - which is why I need that application in the first place. So if that didn't happen, I suppose that could be the problem.

UNetbootin completed its task with a success report. I do not know the innerds of what it should produce or what files should be added if any so when it tells me its task is a success, thats what I reported in my question.

"How do you know grub2 installed correctly in usb?..." Good question. The instructions for this on the hack-a-vision site I quoted in my question said nothing of a grub2 file. So I would not know to check for one. Being that is the loader, I think we have identified the problem.

Update---
    Unlike my R3 downloads, I downloaded R2 and got a good md5sum. Tried a dvd (which when viewed in poweriso says it IS a bootable image) and USB created by unetbootin and no success - complete bypass into windows. I attached a screenshot of the files on my USB created by unetbootin to see what I'm working with. I also attached the contents of the .disk directory to show the base_installable file. Notice some of the files are not tagged with a file extension.

As the screenshots show in my last post, unetbootin gave me a syslinux.cfg file instead of a grub2. How to see if it is installed correctly, I do not know. But it is there.
    Immagini allegate Immagini allegate
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-24-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Merged

Just burned their ISO

try pressing enter , sounds like the black screen that pops up when i boot from bt5 cd.