Hello everyone,

I have used previous releases of Backtrack in the past, and have installed Backtrack 5 R1 on a laptop about 6 months ago. Now I have decided to
make the leap to installing Backtrack on my desktop and dual booting with windows 7. However I'm having trouble getting to the point where i can actually
install the distro!

I boot the live CD and wait for Backtrack to do its thing, and my problem arises after entering the "startx" command to enter the KDE gui. As soon as i enter the command my screen turns black, and the monitor
goes to sleep as it cannot find a signal.

i have tried following multiple guides on this forum, and across the internetz but none have worked so far all that i can find seem to involve changing the grub kernel commands, to something similar to "i915.modeset=1".
However my desktop is an AMD machine, with a ATI Radeon HD 5830 and doesn't use a single piece of intel hardware? So i don't believe that fix applies to this issue.

I have also tried many of the Backtrack 5 R2 forum fixes for black screen and these do not work either... Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I'm sure its a video driver problem or something similar, but sadly i'm no Linux
expert (yet!) and have come to a dead end in terms of my knowledge.

The file boots perfectly on vitualbox, so it cannot be a corrupt file etc.

The closest i came in my attempts was when following a R2 guide to the black screens http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48737. Ubuntu loaded up straight into the KDE, but i couldn't repeat this even using the
same commands?!

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible!

My desktop specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4, 3.8 Ghz
Memory: G Skill 4096MB DDR3 1066
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5830
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Thank you in advance for any help.

Would be really appreciated.