Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding new users with 'root' style

Just burned his ISO

Default Adding new users with 'root' style

Hey guys,

I am really sorry for spamming the forum with such a newbie question, but when I add a new user and login, I am back to slack old style, and ALL BT2 tools are inside lost and found folder, backtrack gets completely deformed (useless).

How do I add new users with the same style that root user has?

Regards

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Wuefez View Post
    Hey guys,

I am really sorry for spamming the forum with such a newbie question, but when I add a new user and login, I am back to slack old style, and ALL BT2 tools are inside lost and found folder, backtrack gets completely deformed (useless).

Regards
    You must set the file permision to include the new user. also there should have been some group permision settins when you added the new user. a little reasearch on 'bash' 'add user slax' and 'group file permisions' should yeild you a tutorial or something.I'm not a home or else I could spoonfeed you but I would rather you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuefez View Post
    Hey guys,

Regards
    Get yourself slackbook-2.0 it's a pdf google will find it.
    Once you have that, look for adduser, that should then answer all your questions.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I gave my new user the next uid / gid on the list, but it doesnt works, i think my previous question was kinda unclear, so i will remake it.

How do I create an user with the same theme (default bt2 theme), Kmenu programs, background, that the root user has, I am not asking about how to create an user with root permission rights.

Because when I create a new user and login I get back to Slack, all BT2 modifications on slackware, are gone, its normal slack.

Sorry for my poor english!

ROOT USER DESKTOP:
    img266.imageshack.us/img266/8489/snapshot2eg4.jpg

NORMAL USER DESKTOP
    img117.imageshack.us/img117/5839/snapshot1rs6.jpg

(they are both urls but the forum wont allow me to post them because of my low post count)

Developer

and your doing this so your girlfriend can use backtrack. seems odd. any way what I would do is create another small partition and give her a install all to her self. Ilm just unclear about why you would want to do this

Just burned his ISO

I am not doing anything, what I want is to have the normal user desktop like the root user desktop.

Thanks!

1) adduser foo
    2) cp -Rfv /root/{.kde*,.local,.qt*} /home/foo
    3) chown -Rv foo:users /home/foo
    4) visudo

NB 1) Make sure that you set the initial group for the user *which in this case is foo* is wheel

NB 4) Use only the user root to edit visudo and uncomment the line that allows the group wheel users to execute commands with sudo. If you want, you can read guides on howto make it so that wheel users can use sudo to execute anything without a password. Finally, you also will need to edit individual commands inside the menu and append sudo in front of it There are a fair bit of programs that require root to access it due to raw device accessibility.

Just burned his ISO

@hatake_kakashi

Thanks, you are right many programs like sniffers for example or any other programs that require access to raw packets require uid 0.

Leaving sudo with no password for a certain group and using root, is almost the same, well if something goes terribly wrong the only thing i will loose is the time of installing the o.s again...

But hey thanks a lot for giving me my options!

edit
    mods, its ok to close this topic now!

Just burned his ISO

hello..I'm new around here and I also have my own odd questions..
    I have already fixed the whole environment looking like the root's one but I'm still having a problem with the Kmenu..All the apps appear at the lost+found..
    Can I change the interface to have the apps categorized like the root??
    Thanx in advance..

Guys, seriously you are lucky that the mods are in a pretty good mood.
    But read the rules, this is neither a distro for beginners nor is it a Linux help forum here.

Start reading on your own.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast