Thread: startx works on first oot the blackscreen after reboot

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question startx works on first oot the blackscreen after reboot

Ok i downloaded bactrack 5r3 gnome 64bit iso have redownloded 3 times checksum good all 3 times instaleed to usb 6 times with unetbootin and 6 times with live linux creater with variouse persistance sizes the first time i boot it up startx works just fine but as soon as i reboot and try to startx again it hangs at black screen search as revield this is a common problem but none of the fixes seem to help first i tried to edit /etc/default/grub to include i915.modeset=1 as sugested both at the end of the line right before vga= begining of the line and changing text splash to quiet splash but when i run update-grub it says that it cant find /mnt/dev am i sure its mounted
    On the grub loader hiting tab and modifing that line with several varations of the i915 line with no luck also xforcevesa does nothing i also tried reistalling iso and booting up starting x (it always works first time after reeboot it breaks) and configuring fluxbox with no luck hopeing it was a gnome prolem i am useing a hp laptop with intel chipset sorry for the crappy formating i am havring to post this on my phone and its being stupid thanks in advance ffor all the help

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: startx works on first oot the blackscreen after reboot

Quote Originally Posted by delurfangs View Post
    the first time i boot it up startx works just fine but as soon as i reboot and try to startx again it hangs at black screen
    I'm having the same exact issue. Using a bootable USB with BT5R3-GNOME-32 running persistant mode then startx. The first time the GUI runs fine with no issue. Additionally, I noticed I can logout and run startx again with no issue (without rebooting). However, when I reboot, all subsequent tries to load startx fail. I've tried this with a bootable USB created from both LinuxLive and unetbootin each having the same symptoms. As a side note, I can still boot into startx in all other modes but persistant mode.

I've tried the following with no luck:

1. add xforcevesa noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll -- to the grub
    2. rm the ~/.gnome/cache-root/*.kchace and ~/.gnome/cache-bt/*.kchace files (results in file or directory not found)

When the problem occurs the error message I see is several lines that say:

Code:
    EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 589875
    No protocol specified...
    After a continious loop of this it finally fails:

Code:
    Giving up
    xinit input/output (errno 5): unable to connect to X server

Waiting for X server to shutdown error setting MTRR Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)
    ddxSigGiveUp: Closing Log

xinit: server error
    xauth: creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
    This is an HP ProBook 4510s with an ATI Monility Radeon HD 4330 video card. Any help folks can provide/suggest is greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: startx works on first oot the blackscreen after reboot

What i found worked as long as your not worried about using it live is burn your usb and run start x then run the installer on the destop i never ran into the startx black screen after i did that. I am not worried about live mode i plan on using it as a security auditer and as an os when i want to conceal my identity plus you cant have linux without compiz lol and its a bitch to reconfigure.each time. Lol hope that helps