Thread: BackTrack 4 with Ubuntu all persistent on the same USB key

Hybrid View

Default BackTrack 4 with Ubuntu all persistent on the same USB key

I have a USB key containing Ubuntu, BT and some other distros. Ubuntu and BT are peristent.

When switching to BT 4, BT now uses casper plus an initrd image to boot, like Ubuntu. It causes more pain to setup a USB key with two casper distro since the default way to setup a USB key is to put the casper folder at the root of the USB key.

On mine i have:
    <root>
    - ubuntu (contains all files of ubuntu-desktop.iso)
    - backtrack (contains all files of bt 4 iso)
    - syslinux (contains all config files for my syslinux menu)
    - i have other distros also

With ubuntu 9.10, you can easily add a parameter to your syslinux entry to change the live-media-path location of the casper folder.

With BT 4, the live initrd image does not support it.

So i've written a blog article on how to unzip / patch / re-zip the initrd.gz file of BackTrack 4 to be able to pass this parameter.

Mycila Blog: BackTrack With Ubuntu USB Key

When editing the script/casper file, you can also change the name of the capser-rw partition for persistent change, so that you can have on the USB key:
    - one partition for your distros and syslinux
    - one XFS partition for Ubunto persistent named ubuntu-rw
    - one XFS partition for BT 4 persistent named bt-rw

Just burned his ISO

Cool Re: BackTrack 4 with Ubuntu all persistent on the same USB key

Cant evething be placed in the same usb but on diferent folders and setted up in the boot loader? (If so then why)

Default Re: BackTrack 4 with Ubuntu all persistent on the same USB key

Hi,

It depends on the initrd image you are using. Ubuntu is using one that supports the live-media-path parameter, so you just have to put the Ubuntu's casper folder where you want and pass its location with this parameter in your syslinux config.

But BT4 does not support this parameter. So this how-to is there to show you how to rebuild and patch the BT4 initrd image to add this parameter.

I find distributions using capser folder harder to integrate in a multi-boot usb key since the casper folder can't be easily renamed and the same for files into this folder.