Thread: Vnc and xwindows

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Vnc and xwindows

I can successfully connect to my bt5 with vnc. eg. myip:1
    However the bottom of the vnc window, where all the minimized programs , clock etc is fuzzy or not showing very clearly. (as best I can describe it.)
    I have tried a variety of methods for setting up vnc and this seems to work accept for the fuzzy bar.

When I minimize a terminal window I cant seem to open it. I try clicking along the fuzzy bar to try to catch it and I can get the clock for example or programs like the list all the programs, but I cant get the termnal window to re open. If I hover my mouse over one of the 4 Desktops eg Desktop1 then I see a list of all the terminal windows that are open. Including the one I cant open.

Is there some command or something that will allow me to open a minimized window. Alt tab doesnt always work depending on the variety of VNC your using.
    thanks.

Default Re: Vnc and xwindows

Depending on the VNC client you are using they might have certain special keys that can replace Alt+Tab.
    As an alternative you could connect to your Backtrack machine using SSH and use the "screen" utility to obtain multiple shells with an SSH connection however this depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Your right about some clients having special keys. However the one Im using right now tightvnc, I dont think does. I have done some googling on this.

You ask what Im trying to achieve. It is simply the ability to log in remotely (in this case from the internet) into my BT5 computer. I have an a port forward on the router at that location so I cant access the BT5 session:0. If that helps.

Im unfamilier whit the screen utility. What is it called (Screen Utility?) I searched and found this.
    http://cse.csusb.edu/turner/drupal_s.../turner/screen

Not sure if thats what your refering to and not sure what it does.

I guess there is no way from a command prompt to open a minimized window? All the menus and the new terminal icon are all there, but I just cant seem to bring up the minimized window.

regards

Regarding the keyboard shortcuts for VNC this might help: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...her-inside-vnc
    And here is a tutorial on how to use screen after connecting via SSH: http://www.rackaid.com/resources/lin...al-and-how-to/
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Thanks I will look at it and get back with any questions.