Thread: UNetbootin USB Installer

Just burned his ISO

Default UNetbootin USB Installer

cant get BackTrack 5 R3 GNOME 32 or 64 to do anything on my laptop using UNetbootin USB Installer im using a 8gb Patriot flash drive on a lenovo g575 laptop with amd radeon hd 6310 graphics, i put this flash drive in my desktop worked fine, can someone point me to the next step of what to do im stuck.

when i put this flash drive to the desktop it came up with a blue screen and lets you chose something to boot backtrack but i dont get that with the laptop, just getting a sentence with a blinking line, have typed root then press enter then toor enter nothing happens
    Last edited by billybobcornbread; 10-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Default Re: UNetbootin USB Installer

Well, now you see the disadvantages of USB installs..Works fine whit some harware, and will not work with other..This is a fact and you have to realize it..You have a video issue..Different video hardware..simple...Not all computers were created the same...

If you plug it into another PC, surely you will find another issue, or perhaps will work..

There are many posts about modifying boot parameters to work this issue out..Please use the "search thread" option....

But you will have to use that solution every time you use your USB install..And this solution will be just for Radeon, if you plug it into a PC with nvidia? or Intel?..you will need to work it out...

Luck.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Well, now you see the disadvantages of USB installs..Works fine whit some harware, and will not work with other..This is a fact and you have to realize it..You have a video issue..Different video hardware..simple...Not all computers were created the same...

If you plug it into another PC, surely you will find another issue, or perhaps will work..

There are many posts about modifying boot parameters to work this issue out..Please use the "search thread" option....

But you will have to use that solution every time you use your USB install..And this solution will be just for Radeon, if you plug it into a PC with nvidia? or Intel?..you will need to work it out...

Luck.
    i found this:"I came up with this method that seems to work for me (radeon HD6310M) it will prolly work on the HD6470M aswell .

bOOT UP USING FLASHDRIVE OR LIVE CD

ON THE BOOT SCREEN PRESS THE "TAB" KEY ON THE "TEXT MODE" line

THEN CHANGE THE LINE:/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz text splash vga=791--

TO: /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz text splash nomodeset vga=791 radeon.modeset=0

PRESS ENTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN U REACH root@bt

TYPE: vim /etc/default/grub

SCROLL DOWN TO THE LINE: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash nomodeset vga=791"

PRESS THE "I" KEY

CHANGE : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash nomodeset vga=791" TO: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash nomodeset vga=791 radeon.modeset=0"

HIT "ESC" KEY

HOLD DOWN THE " SHIFT" KEY AND PRESS ":" KEY

THEN PRESS x KEY AND ENTER..........IT NOW SHOULD WRITE

TYPE: update-grub PRESS "ENTER"

(ignore the error after "update-grub" if u boot up off a live disk)

Type: startx"

tried it all on the desktop thinking when done i would be able to then put the flash drive on the laptop and it would work but it did not, still getting the underscore when the laptop is trying to boot off of the flash drive, no unetbootin ever comes up nothing at all just the same sentence with the underscore blinking and if i type nothing happens or shows.

i have checked the md5sum and its good, have followed the wiki also tried the search thread on this forum for modifying boot parameters also googled it but have came up with nothing that looks of use or works also have formated the flash drive and tried it again many times still cant get unetbootin to show me that blue box with the count down....

this is the sentence im getting with the under score right below it

syslinux 4.03 2010-10-22 edd copyright (c) 1994-2010 h. peter anvin et al
    Last edited by billybobcornbread; 10-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Just burned his ISO

i have also reformated the flash drive started all over with reinstalling with unetbootin have tried selecting from boot options also changed the bios boot options to boot the flash drive first still getting this sentence with the under score right below it

syslinux 4.03 2010-10-22 edd copyright (c) 1994-2010 h. peter anvin et al

plug this flash drive into another laptop yesterday and it worked please help me figure out why i cant get this enovo g575 laptop to boot from the flash drive