Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is apt-get working?

Just burned their ISO

Default Is apt-get working?

Hi,

I installed BT R3 64-Bit Gnome in VMWare environment. When I try to run "apt-get update" command, I do not get any error and it hits some repositories as well. Then I execute "apt-get upgrade" and the result is always (i.e. in the last 2 months) "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded." Is this normal? I do expect that some updates exist sometimes within repositories? I did install synaptic. Could it crash some configurations?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Is apt-get working?

Quote Originally Posted by fmsamfkasf View Post
    Hi,

I installed BT R3 64-Bit Gnome in VMWare environment. When I try to run "apt-get update" command, I do not get any error and it hits some repositories as well. Then I execute "apt-get upgrade" and the result is always (i.e. in the last 2 months) "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded." Is this normal? I do expect that some updates exist sometimes within repositories? I did install synaptic. Could it crash some configurations?
    Have you tried

Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    once ?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Why would you excecute an upgrade? You have the latest BT5 version.....Please read more about linux...

Use the terminal and type : " man aptitude " and read thoroughly....

I see you do not have a clear idea of what you are trying to do or what you want to do...

Luck.
    Last edited by maverik35; 10-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord711 View Post
    Have you tried

Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    once ?
    Please guys, read more about the command..The dist-upgrade is deprecated, although still recognized, but for how long?..Use aptitude full-upgrade instead...

Let's do it the right way..Read the "man" pages of aptitude. You will be amazed of how powerfull it is and all the options it has...

It won't take you more than 5 or 6 minutes..

All commands have their man pages..Read them before using it or when you see someone uses it..

Luck..

Just burned their ISO

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    Why would you excecute an upgrade? You have the latest BT5 version.....Please read more about linux...

Use the terminal and type : " man aptitude " and read thoroughly....

I see you do not have a clear idea of what you are trying to do or what you want to do...

Luck.
    The normal way of updating all installed packages is executing the commands "apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade". aptitude is only an interface for package manager like synaptic. The upgrade script of @sickness uses apt-get update etc. as well. But as I said, apt-get update does not find any updated package and this is strange for me.

Hi,

The normal way of updating all installed packages is executing the commands "apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade". aptitude is only an interface for package manager like synaptic. The upgrade script of @sickness uses apt-get update etc. as well. But as I said, apt-get update does not find any updated package and this is strange for me.
    Read my friend, google aptitude vs apt-get...I used to think that way before knowing Debian...

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

Read my friend, google aptitude vs apt-get...I used to think that way before knowing Debian...

Luck.
    Ok, to make you believe. "aptitude full-upgrade" does not upgrade anything as well.

Ok, to make you believe. "aptitude full-upgrade" does not upgrade anything as well.
    I think you misunderstood, aptitude is better than apt-get, but both with "upgrade" do the same thing. Upgrade is to install a higher Distro Version "IF AVAILABLE"....I do not think the BT5 r4 has been released yet.

"aptitude update" only "updates" the package list from repos....

And again, if you read and really try to learn the exquisite side of linux distros, read over and over the command "man", soon you will stop using apt-get...I invite you to read the "man"...You will be amazed how powerfull aptitude and other commands are as well as their options.

Hope it helps you to clear out any doubt as to why command did not do anything when running aptitude upgrade.

Sorry, did not mean to be rude and impolite.

Luck.

Just burned their ISO

Hi,

I think you misunderstood, aptitude is better than apt-get, but both with "upgrade" do the same thing. Upgrade is to install a higher Distro Version "IF AVAILABLE"....I do not think the BT5 r4 has been released yet.
    Wrong. aptitude full-upgrades installs the last version of packages. It does not matter if BT5R4 is released or not. Here is the man page explanation.

full-upgrade
    Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version, removing or installing packages as necessary. This command is less conservative
    than safe-upgrade and thus more likely to perform unwanted actions. However, it is capable of upgrading packages that safe-upgrade cannot
    upgrade.

By BT5R2 I did always get the latest packages with apt-get update and upgrade without any problem. Now by R3 it does not work. All theses has nothing to do with wether I use apt-get or aptitude.

The repositories haven't been updated in a while.
    The last 'close' (e.g. what could of been pushed out), was on (2012-08-18)

http://redmine.backtrack-linux.org:8...track/activity
    http://redmine.backtrack-linux.org:8...ack/repository
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 10-19-2012 at 03:54 AM.
    Have you...g0tmi1k?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast