Thread: Dual Boot Question

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual Boot Question

I am using BT on a laptop that is my primary work machine (WinXP). Currently, I have BT installed to an external USB drive split into 4 partitions. When I want to boot BT, I just plug in the drive and boot to USB -- no dual boot required.

The USB drive becomes a pain when I want to go mobile, so I have been contemplating dual boot --- but I don't want to touch my current internal hda. I have a 20GB backup drive that runs in the CD slot. I can scrub this drive and partition as needed. My concern is that this drive will only be in the slot when I want to run BT. Other times, it will be in my bag. I imagine this will be a nightmare setting up the bootloader with XP on the main drive and BT only being available some of the time. Any ideas or suggestions?

My other option is to move my USB drive over to a 4 GB USB key --- which is much easier to carry around.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

alright poke around on the bt wiki and youll find a complete video on how to do this with a windows partition.

step for step
    RTFM & GOOGLE, do it before posting

Just burned his ISO

I've gone through the video for the true dual boot. My question here is whether there will be a problem when one of the two drives (BT in /dev/hda2) is no longer in the machine. How will LILO handle this?

Lilo shouldn't have any trouble with it. The only time it checks to make sure everything is there is when you run the lilo script (as far as I know, I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like.)

I have lilo set up in triple boot with one of the boot options being an external drive that isn't always there. I've never run into any problems.