Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing BT 5 R3 on external hard drive

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Installing BT 5 R3 on external hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    I think you did something wrong..If you have W7 already installed, it will be erased..W7 should be using /dev/sda1..The extended should be sda2 and logics are from sda5 and up..

Why sda5?..Because primary partitions allowed by BIOS is 4. For example: 2 IDE connectors will only accept as much as 4 HDD, each with a primary Partition as a maximum, and I mean primary...

So this means in linux, is the same, you have 4 primary Partitions (sda1 to sda4)..If you want more, they will start from 5 (sda5) and up, but they have to be in an Extended partition.

So in an extended partition the first one starts from 5..The swap partition is a different partition, is not counted in the sdx partitions...So you need one Swap partition and it can be used by as many linux distros as you have installed.

So, in your case, W7 should be using sda1...If linux is using it, it might delete W7 partition...Make sure you mapped the HDD correctly..

You should have:
    /dev/sda1 -------ntfs (Windows 7) (xx Gb)
    /dev/sda2-------extended (xx Gb) here you decide the size if you've shrunk the hdd.
    sda5-------BT5 (Mounting point "/") (Filesystem ext4) You give the size (from within the extended)
    swap -----swap (1Gb no need for more)
    That is all you shoud have...

Use gparted to partition the disk...Once you do that, you do not need to format the filesystem since it will be done by gparted...

Please post map of HDD. And how you partitioned it. Did you use gparted?..

Luck....
    thanks for replying mate,
    I didnt do anything yet. this is just the example I found on a website that explains how to install on an external drive but I was confused since I saw that the sda will be formatted and the guy is talking about how to install on an external drive.
    In my case I have my internal drive (on the laptop) so that would be sda.
    My external drive should than be recognized as sdb, right?. Thats where I want to install BT. My ext. drive is 1TB and I want to use its full size for BT.
    What do I need to do?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Ok..Need to see the device mounted by Kernel, if external, it can to be sdb, sdc, mmc, etc..Open up a terminal and type: fdisk -l and see output..Check the /de/sdX where X can be a,b,c,etc) and mmcblkX (X=0,1,2,3,etc) if any MicroSD memory.

USB devices mainly are /dev/sdbX Where X=1,2,3,etc. Also a second internal HDD will take /dev/sdb. In this case, HDD take priority.
    Flash memory (MicroSD) are: /dev/mmcblkX X=0,1,2,etc.

To use an external HDD, need to see the wiki or google..Installing on extenal device has a different way of doing it...You will need to do it manually and then install grub2 or use some third party app...I would highly suggest to read before doing something.

In my case, I always avoid third party app, always do it manually or cli...

Luck.

Just burned his ISO

Ok..Need to see the device mounted by Kernel, if external, it can to be sdb, sdc, mmc, etc..Open up a terminal and type: fdisk -l and see output..Check the /de/sdX where X can be a,b,c,etc) and mmcblkX (X=0,1,2,3,etc) if any MicroSD memory.

USB devices mainly are /dev/sdbX Where X=1,2,3,etc. Also a second internal HDD will take /dev/sdb. In this case, HDD take priority.

To use an external HDD, need to see the wiki or google..Installing on extenal device has a different way of doing it...You will need to do it manually and then install grub2 or use some third party app...I would highly suggest to read before doing something.

Luck.
    thanks for the info.
    I d like to read about it but can you send me some reliable source where I can find the info that I need?

Thanks in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Luck.
    Hi maverik35,
    can you please take a look at these instructions?
    Will this work?
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/17...ck-5-r2-gnome/

Thanks

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Well, this method is for a internal HDD..This link is a Great contribution to the community..Thank you very much, indeed..

For an external HDD, you want to refer here: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/03/12...al-hard-drive/

Read it first and then try it..It is pretty straight forward..

Remember to make sure what is your ext HDD (sdb, sdc, etc)..You can type: fdisk -l or blkid (as root) or ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid

Search your ext. HDD

Luck
    Last edited by maverik35; 10-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Well, this method is for a internal HDD..This link is a Great contribution to the community..Thank you very much, indeed..

For an external HDD, you want to refer here: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/03/12...al-hard-drive/

Read it first and then try it..It is pretty straight forward..

Remember to make sure what is your ext HDD (sdb, sdc, etc)..You can type: fdisk -l or blkid (as root) or ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid

Search your ext. HDD

Luck
    Thank you!

I will follow those guidelines, cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12