Thread: Wireless issue with Toshiba laptop...

Just burned his ISO

Question Wireless issue with Toshiba laptop...

Here's the story:

My family recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4807. After exploring it in Windows-->Device Manager for a while I noticed that the wireless adapter is listed as "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter". This is great! I finally got an atheros card for backtrack. Or so I thought.

Anyway, I boot up backtrack and it won't recognize the wireless card. wlassistant doesn't recognize anything, using ifconfig -a brings up eth0 and lo with some info. I have tried using the newbie guide for getting the wireless card running, to no avail. I have searched, and can't seem to find anything; however if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by The Leprechaun View Post
    Here's the story:

My family recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite A215-S4807. After exploring it in Windows-->Device Manager for a while I noticed that the wireless adapter is listed as "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter". This is great! I finally got an atheros card for backtrack. Or so I thought.

Anyway, I boot up backtrack and it won't recognize the wireless card. wlassistant doesn't recognize anything, using ifconfig -a brings up eth0 and lo with some info. I have tried using the newbie guide for getting the wireless card running, to no avail. I have searched, and can't seem to find anything; however if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great!
    atheros cards use the mad wifi drivers so the first step would be to chech their site and see if your card is supported. not all atheros cards are. the second idea would be to check the back track wikis section on laptops to see if any one has givin any feedback.if your machine is not listed and you don't get the card going please consider adding a wiki entry so next time there will be a review on it.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply purehate. I checked out mad wifi and apparently its so new that mad wifi hasn't supported it yet and you have to use ndiswrapper and the windows driver. Anyway, I assume that you have to have backtrack installed to a hard drive in order to do this?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by The Leprechaun View Post
    Thanks for the reply purehate. I checked out mad wifi and apparently its so new that mad wifi hasn't supported it yet and you have to use ndiswrapper and the windows driver. Anyway, I assume that you have to have backtrack installed to a hard drive in order to do this?
    no you can create a new iso but I don't belive the ndsi wrapper supports injection. so if you are trying to use the aircrack suite you would be much better off purchasing a new card.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you

*bows to Purehate's infinite wisdom*