Thread: Calibrate Touch Screen?

antihaxer

Default Calibrate Touch Screen?

I have a tablet notebook and Back | Track 2 works with it, but I need to calibrate it. Right now it is like an inch off. Thanks.

You would be doing yourself and everyone else a favour if instead of just asking question after question like you have for the last 2 or so weeks, you actually did some research into your problems. Most of the questions you have been asking, have, if you had done the research been answered before.
    Instead of just getting some help with these questions you have expected others (respect to Xploitz for his patience) to do the grunt work for you and spoonfeed you the answers. Even when these very patient people have asked you to try and help yourself or supply info on what you have done to solve the problem yourself, you just reply with things like, So has anyone got an answer, or So what exactly do I do, or such like.

I am all for helping people, but they should at least be trying to do some of the work themselves and supplying us with at least the basic information like what they have done and what they have tried.

Take for example this latest in the list of questions.

"I have a tablet notebook and Back | Track 2 works with it, but I need to calibrate it. Right now it is like an inch off. Thanks."

Where is the basic information ?
    From this question what do we have to go on ?

How about providing us with info like

Make
    Model
    Touch screen model
    Have you searched the manufacturers website?
    Do they have any linux drivers?
    Have you searched for anyone else who has tried this and what were their results or findings.
    What else have you done to try and fix this yourself.

Without this kind of information you will likely get no help or the very patient people that have helped you in the past are going to get very tired of "extracting teeth" and "spoonfeeding" and stop helping you altogether.

With any of the questions you have been extensively helped on, have you once written it up in a tutorial so that anyone else who has that problem can use it to fix their problem ? I haven't looked but I very much doubt it.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say to you here, and you start to do something for yourself, and at least try to help us help you.

antihaxer

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do
    I looked in the kde menu to see if there was an option for it, but I did not see one. I am pretty sure hp does not have drivers for linux.

Post Wake up call

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    You would be doing yourself and everyone else a favour if instead of just asking question after question like you have for the last 2 or so weeks, you actually did some research into your problems. Most of the questions you have been asking, have, if you had done the research been answered before.
    Instead of just getting some help with these questions you have expected others (respect to Xploitz for his patience) to do the grunt work for you and spoonfeed you the answers. Even when these very patient people have asked you to try and help yourself or supply info on what you have done to solve the problem yourself, you just reply with things like, So has anyone got an answer, or So what exactly do I do, or such like.

I am all for helping people, but they should at least be trying to do some of the work themselves and supplying us with at least the basic information like what they have done and what they have tried.

Take for example this latest in the list of questions.

"I have a tablet notebook and Back | Track 2 works with it, but I need to calibrate it. Right now it is like an inch off. Thanks."

Where is the basic information ?
    From this question what do we have to go on ?

How about providing us with info like

Make
    Model
    Touch screen model
    Have you searched the manufacturers website?
    Do they have any linux drivers?
    Have you searched for anyone else who has tried this and what were their results or findings.
    What else have you done to try and fix this yourself.

Without this kind of information you will likely get no help or the very patient people that have helped you in the past are going to get very tired of "extracting teeth" and "spoonfeeding" and stop helping you altogether.

With any of the questions you have been extensively helped on, have you once written it up in a tutorial so that anyone else who has that problem can use it to fix their problem ? I haven't looked but I very much doubt it.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say to you here, and you start to do something for yourself, and at least try to help us help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by antihaxer View Post
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do
    I looked in the kde menu to see if there was an option for it, but I did not see one. I am pretty sure hp does not have drivers for linux.
    First off..@ balding_parrot:

I couldn't have said it better myself. I think you worded that completely accurately.

@antihaxer:

Dude,we need to talk...seriously.

Your join date here was 06-27-2007..your post count is 134 (8.92 posts per day). My God man...your a SENIOR MEMBER..in less than a month!! I'm all about learning and Google antihaxer. And BELIEVE me..even when I first started out here, when I'd post a question...I SWEAR 7 out of 10 times I found the answer myself using search..or Google. IMO, I have been working with you EXTENSIVELY. And to be honest, I'm kinda beginning to feel as if your taking advantage of my no0bie kindness. I have a rep here of non tolerance for no0bie ignorance..and I waved that with you. Why?? Cause I like you. And I still do. But dude, your KILLING ME with the constant PM's and all the questions. I haven't had a break in like a week! And I had to tell you a couple of times to post the answer to your question so that other members having the same problem could be helped....thats just common courtesy antihaxer to post the solution..and I had to make you...Completely uncalled for. Were not coming down on you antihaxer....this is just a wake up call for you. Please..PLEASE please...start helping yourself...cause just like balding_parrot said..if you keep it up...this will be true unfortunately.>>>>>

.......or the very patient people that have helped you in the past are going to get very tired of "extracting teeth" and "spoonfeeding" and stop helping you altogether.
    Antihaxer,

Your gonna have to start stepping it up around here and start posting some tutorials and helping yourself more around here, cause I don't see alot of people comming to your aide in the future if you keep it the way your doing things right now. THIS POST...isn't even a BT2 issue!! Its a freaking HP issue!! And you still refused to post the very simple request for make model of comp and the touch screen model...instead you give a link hoping we click on it from ****ing circut city!! WTF???? C'mon man..you gotta do way better than that bro. Its time for a change...your a senior member now (thanks to 100 post of questions) but you need to start acting and showing leadership qualities like the rest of us, if you expect us to have your back in the future. I hope you don't take my or balding_parrots post the wrong way, and you consider this your wake up call..cause if in the future you post constant tutorials and help everybody like I have you....you'll be really good for this board, and you''ll gain a lot of trust and respect...ESPECIALLY from me, cause I kinda adopted you in a way..and I want to see my young grow up to be an intelligent, and helpful person..and LIVE UP TO THEIR NAME A-n-t-i-h-a-x-e-r.

All the best to you m8.....

[CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Thank you for that Xploitz, I was beginning to think I was the only one who could see it that way. Thank you too for saying it in the open, I have had PM's from other people that thought it was about time someone said something, but didn't want to say so openly for their own reasons, which I have to respect.

The real kick in the teeth was that after I gave you all that advice your only response was in effect: You go here and find out what I got, glanced at the kde menu didn't see anything, couldn't be bothered to search the hp site, so you tell me what's the answer.

Just out of interest I checked up just how many questions I have asked, I was supprised to find that it has been 1 yes one, and do you know the best thing about that... I found the answer, it took me 2 1/2 days of damn hard work, but I, without anyone else's help found the answer. I did not leave it there I took the trouble to write a tutorial explaining the problem, gave three solutions, created a module and added the info to the wiki to make things easy for everyone else.

At this point I was going to list how many questions/threads you have started, how many of those have been written up into tutorials and how many of those have been added to the wiki. but decided not to as that was not the point of this.

I wasn't going to add anything else to this thread, but your answer was just a big FU2

I do hope that you take everything that has been said here in the way that it is intended, and heed the advice. Maybe then you will change my opinion from what it is at the moment.

well that all I have to say on this.

All The Best

Thank you for that Xploitz, I was beginning to think I was the only one who could see it that way. Thank you too for saying it in the open, I have had PM's from other people that thought it was about time someone said something, but didn't want to say so openly for their own reasons, which I have to respect.
    Well, the way I see it is....it should be taken up privately. But...when your not the only one who sees it this way...and you've "subtlety" tried to influence the other person to do the right thing....it HAS to have public attention so that the person in question gets the message. I don't like having to say such things, as I get NO JOY whatsoever outta what I said at all....but it HAD TO BE SAID. And now that its been said...lets just see how many other feel the same way about his "questions" and see how he responds to the public attention that has been brought to him. You never know, he might suprise us. I have faith in him, and I want to see him be a productive member here just like you, me and the other seniors here. Thats all I'm saying at this point as well. Lets just sit back and see what he and the others post..
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by antihaxer View Post
    I have a tablet notebook and Back | Track 2 works with it, but I need to calibrate it. Right now it is like an inch off. Thanks.
    Well, even though this cat is banned, I can shed some light in general to calibrating a touchscreen:

First you need to determine the device you have

Next you need to determine which device it is being picked up as via:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

You should be able to pick out the device from the data that is echo'd.

If you are not sure which one it is, then just cat-down-the-list and touch the screen until you see a bunch of mandarin chinese appear in the terminal screen:

Example:

cat /dev/input/event1
    cat /dev/input/event2
    cat /dev/input/event69

...until you find the device.

Next you need to edit /etc/xorg.conf file, choosing the driver for your device (which is found here)

I use the evdev for my device, so my xorg.conf file has this added:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "touchscreen"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
    Option "ReportingMode" "raw"
    Option "SendCoreEvents"
    Option "MinX" "39"
    Option "MinY" "50"
    Option "MaxX" "989"
    Option "MaxY" "972"
    EndSection

You also need to add the area highlighted in red TO YOUR ServerLayout Section:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    InputDevice "touchscreen" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Depending on the make/model/device, you can construct a udev rule so that everytime you boot it loads the driver/device correctly. A great guide to doing this is right here!

Please do not PM me to write a udev rule or xorg.conf file for you!!! (PM -=Xploits=- instead!!!) ...........j/k

Keywords: touchscreen calibration, touchscreen calibrate, calibrating your touchscreen, tablet
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze