Thread: Can't get GUI

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't get GUI

I'm running the live cd, and no matter which option I choose it sends me to terminal/console/command line, whatever you would like to call it. Anyone know why this would be, and/or fill me in on how to get to gui as seen in the screenshots?

Default Re: Can't get GUI

Have you booted the disc, logged in as root and tried the command "startx" [no quotes]? If so, and X11 still kicks you back to the command prompt, we can move on to the next step: checking your video card support. Post with results, please!
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

I was baffeled by the same thing when I first booted up on BT4. I was use to the BT3 interface where you had an actual log on and xconf to help you out with the video configuration, but they are not the same. BT4 just boots you to the command line already logged in as root and waiting for a command.

xX_Spiidey_Xx is right to just try startx first if you get GUI then you are golden, if not then you are in the same boat I am / was.

Try running fixvesa then start x again. This works for me but I am stuck with 800x600 rez.

I am still trouble shooting this here h**p://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/beginners-forum/505-need-help-acer-aspire-one-532h-video-resolution.html#post1678

I found that I am too lazy to even type fixvesa startx each time I boot so I edited the /root/.profile file and after the last "fi" add one line for fixvesa and then another new line for startx. Now every time I boot it goes strait into GUI.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Technically we should start with the md5sum of the download. Also the hardware specs will help us as well.
    Then we can move to the next step/s.
    @OP Let us know about the md5sum also the specs. In addition are there any errors that you noticed during boot up displayed.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KrshBX View Post
    I'm running the live cd, and no matter which option I choose it sends me to terminal/console/command line, whatever you would like to call it. Anyone know why this would be, and/or fill me in on how to get to gui as seen in the screenshots?
    Had the same problem, entering "startx" worked , didn't have to log on. Just wait till it shows the command line after booting, enter startx, hit enter, done.
    Didn't see any errors go by while booting.
    MD5: af139d2a085978618dc53cabc67b9269

Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-GC230D (using onboard GPU)
    Fujitsu Siemens Scaleoview C17-12
    ST3500320AS
    Kingston ValueRAM KVR533D2N4/1G
    Fortron FSP400-60THN

Did ran into another problem, not sure if I should open a topic for that.
    After trying BackTrack for a while, I locked the system from the menu, couldn't unlock it because I don't have the password. Read somewhere that it's supposed to be "toor" , wasn't accepted, also tried "root". Ended up using the reset-button of the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Had the same problem, entering "startx" worked , didn't have to log on. Just wait till it shows the command line after booting, enter startx, hit enter, done.
    Didn't see any errors go by while booting.
    MD5: af139d2a085978618dc53cabc67b9269

Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-GC230D (using onboard GPU)
    Fujitsu Siemens Scaleoview C17-12
    ST3500320AS
    Kingston ValueRAM KVR533D2N4/1G
    Fortron FSP400-60THN

Did ran into another problem, not sure if I should open a topic for that.
    After trying BackTrack for a while, I locked the system from the menu, couldn't unlock it because I don't have the password. Read somewhere that it's supposed to be "toor" , wasn't accepted, also tried "root". Ended up using the reset-button of the computer.
    I did this same thing once but then I remembered I didnt log in, just like you said so I tried just clicking unlock with not password and bang! there is was. Made me realize there is no password on root by default so instantly ran passwd and made one.