Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual booting Bt5 R3 "no operating systems installed"

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual booting Bt5 R3 "no operating systems installed"

Hey im new to backtrack I'm learning about it for school
    but when i try and install Bt5 through a USB i get this, http://imgur.com/IOqmE i currently have windows installed that i still need on their
    is their anything wrong, i attempted to install it on another computer and that showed the operating system, but not on mine any solutions to install them "side by side"

thanks Vaughan2

Default Re: Dual booting Bt5 R3 "no operating systems installed"

I would like to help you because i have a thing for bootloading. However you must be a little more clear and detailed. Do you plan to have both os on the same drive or partition? This makes a big difference in bootloading. Also what version of windows are you running (ntldr or bootmgr). I think it would be easier to have them on separate partitions and configure separate pbrs and one mbr. If you need help let me know just be more specific.

Knovis512

Just burned his ISO

hate to feel like a complete newbie, but yes i do wish to use them both, as i only need backtrack for one subject,
    i use windows 7 ultimate, i tried to shrink my partition on windows and create a new drive but that was not recognized at all in Bt5.
    I do not know if its bootmgr or ntldr but if u tell me how to access it, or find out ill be more then happy to give as much information as possible

Thank you

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knovis512 View Post
    I would like to help you because i have a thing for bootloading. However you must be a little more clear and detailed. Do you plan to have both os on the same drive or partition? This makes a big difference in bootloading. Also what version of windows are you running (ntldr or bootmgr). I think it would be easier to have them on separate partitions and configure separate pbrs and one mbr. If you need help let me know just be more specific.

Knovis512
    Sorry, but by no mean, it is possible to have more than 1 OS in one partition. Sure you can in the same drive....Grub 2 will do the job making all "partitions" or OS available in boot Menu. No tricks or fancy third party "I do the job for you" software.

Do not get me wrong, no intention to bother anyone. Just trying to clear out some concepts.

Luck.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan2 View Post
    hate to feel like a complete newbie, but yes i do wish to use them both, as i only need backtrack for one subject,
    i use windows 7 ultimate, i tried to shrink my partition on windows and create a new drive but that was not recognized at all in Bt5.
    I do not know if its bootmgr or ntldr but if u tell me how to access it, or find out ill be more then happy to give as much information as possible

Thank you
    With all due respect, please do not feel offended but you need to learn more about linux and read a little more..You will find out that there is no need to use fancy "one click" "I will do it for you" "just seat back and relax" third party software..

Also you cannot "create a new drive"..You can create a partition...If BT does not sees it, it is perhaps because it doesn't have a filesystem format (BT should recognize ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserFS, NTFS, fat32, fat16, etc).

Please, Linux is very powerfull...Just try to read before doing something.

It is like when some person buy a TV and just pull it out of the box, connect it to the outlet and start punching the Remote control...????????..Then the person start to wonder "What if....".."This TV does not have this feature..."I thought.."..No no..The person has to READ first the user's manual to "know" the system and features", to see what the device is capable of...Then start to configure it to your needs.

All this is very common among people...And that is Wrong...

I invite you to read about GNU/Linux...

Luck.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: Dual booting Bt5 R3 "no operating systems installed"

If you only need BackTrack for one class, I would download Oracle's free Virtual Box, install that, and install BT using a virtual machine rather than take a chance at hosing your "work" computer in order to learn about BT.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    With all due respect, please do not feel offended but you need to learn more about linux and read a little more..You will find out that there is no need to use fancy "one click" "I will do it for you" "just seat back and relax" third party software..

Also you cannot "create a new drive"..You can create a partition...If BT does not sees it, it is perhaps because it doesn't have a filesystem format (BT should recognize ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserFS, NTFS, fat32, fat16, etc).

Please, Linux is very powerfull...Just try to read before doing something.

It is like when some person buy a TV and just pull it out of the box, connect it to the outlet and start punching the Remote control...????????..Then the person start to wonder "What if....".."This TV does not have this feature..."I thought.."..No no..The person has to READ first the user's manual to "know" the system and features", to see what the device is capable of...Then start to configure it to your needs.

All this is very common among people...And that is Wrong...

I invite you to read about GNU/Linux...

Luck.
    Thank you, and I am attempting to read as much as possible for BT I've done some basic partitioning on centOS well we had to at the start of this year and all that knowledge has kinda just been lost since then,
    but i don't know where to look, because all my other school mates had their install BT showing their operating system on it.

could their be any relation to my HDD being a GPT ??(i am not fully aware of what this is was just having trouble installing win 7 ultimate).

i understand completely what you mean about the user manual, if you could direct me to a manual for this situation ill be more then happy to read it, Thanks i understand how difficult linux can be and to get a kick off
    to start learning it is very difficult.

Just to add my two cents; If you know what partition Windows is stored on, then you can just use the "Specify partitions manually" option and go from there. However, you want to do some serious research beforehand, as you can completely destroy all your data if you do it wrong.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    Just to add my two cents; If you know what partition Windows is stored on, then you can just use the "Specify partitions manually" option and go from there. However, you want to do some serious research beforehand, as you can completely destroy all your data if you do it wrong.
    Hey yea I tried that and their is two partitions in windows I used the shrink volume, and created a new Partition, but BT only shows the whole drive being in free space only.
    And yea the dangers of partitioning without knowing what ur doing are pretty extreme.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by juicer38 View Post
    If you only need BackTrack for one class, I would download Oracle's free Virtual Box, install that, and install BT using a virtual machine rather than take a chance at hosing your "work" computer in order to learn about BT.
    i only use it for one class, but id love to learn about it as im in a network security course, i like to learn it also as a hobby .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast