Thread: Login Issues after startx command

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Login Issues after startx command

Hello, let me start off by saying i am new to backtrack, and i have scoured the entire forum and google and have not found anything closely related to my issue. I installed backtrack 5r2 on a VMware machine and had no issues logging in and connecting the networking and downloading plugins, but i was prompted to install a new package, which took a couple hours. After which point i was prompted to restart the system. Then i logged in with the root /and my updated password, then i used startx (hoping to get back to the main backtrack screen) but was sent to another login screen that is grey in color with a box in the middle of the screen with an area for a username and password. I tried using the root/and my new password, but it says root logins are not allowed. I have not been able to get back to the main backtrack screen since. I have uploaded a couple screen shots of the screen i am seeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.screen.jpgscreen 2.jpg

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Login Issues after startx command

Quote Originally Posted by mikelc View Post
    Hello, let me start off by saying i am new to backtrack, and i have scoured the entire forum and google and have not found anything closely related to my issue. I installed backtrack 5r2 on a VMware machine and had no issues logging in and connecting the networking and downloading plugins, but i was prompted to install a new package, which took a couple hours. After which point i was prompted to restart the system. Then i logged in with the root /and my updated password, then i used startx (hoping to get back to the main backtrack screen) but was sent to another login screen that is grey in color with a box in the middle of the screen with an area for a username and password. I tried using the root/and my new password, but it says root logins are not allowed. I have not been able to get back to the main backtrack screen since. I have uploaded a couple screen shots of the screen i am seeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.screen.jpgscreen 2.jpg
    I also am struggling to find the answer to the login issue. I am new to backtrack and eager to learn about it. I installed bt5r3 and all was fine and then a box popped up that said there was updates for the distro. I clicked on update. It took very long to update and many error boxes and information boxes came up during the process. Some of which asked to keep existing settings or update them I had no clue so I kept clicking on update since it was a fresh install of bt5r3 and I hadn't changed any settings in it. after all the updates it rebooted then I got the grey login gui and kind find a u/n p/w combo that works. I've never made a user account of any sort in backtrack so I would have to use whatever default there is. I guess I'll run it off dvd for now till someone has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance

I searched the forum and found this:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=51794
    Is that what happened?

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

When in text mode, see if you are root (bt@my_user#>) or not (bt@my_user$>)

Then type: lsb_release -idc
    or
    uname -a
    or
    cat /etc/issue.net

See type of distro installed...Just to find out if distro was upgraded....Also try entering without username and password, just enter.

If not, then try to recover root password. You have 2 ways to do it..But first, try out what I posted above, then we can move on to the next step, recover the password.

luck

Just burned his ISO

OK i tried the above and received the following information:
    Distributor ID - Ubuntu
    Description - Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
    Codename - precise