Thread: Persistent BT5 wont StartX or Netoworking. Safe Mode Works Perfectly wat do?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Persistent BT5 wont StartX or Networking. Safe Mode Works Perfectly what do?

Hello, im writing this because yesterday i installed Back Track 5 to my SANDISK Cruzer 8GB USB with Lili, it was working perfectly (exept the Wifi wich wouldnt start) anyway after i failed miserably i went to sleep.

The next day i booted my PC and StartX wouldnt even work.
    It sends me a very long list of errors wich look like:
    HTML Code:
    55.942333 EXT2-FS Loop1 error ext2_lookup deleted inode referenced 384064
    (like hundreds of these)
    FATAL ERROR SERVER
    Cannot move old log file var/log/Xorg0.log to /var/log Xorg.0.log.old

Please Contact the X.ORG Foundation

ddxSigGiveup Closing Log
    giving up
    xinit no such file or directory errno2 unable to connect to X server
    xinit no such process errno3 server error
    I Decided to go to safe mode to see if it worked, what surprised me is that it worked perfectly, even better than the first time i booted it, and i even was able to have the wifi card working in seconds after installing the firmware (i spent 4 hours browsing the internet unsuccesfully before that trying to make it work)

My main problem is that i CANT reinstall bt5 currently to the usb, for some complex reasons.
    Am i stuck on Debug mode? (i dont really mind that much tought) or is there a way to fix it?
    And if i am, can i make it so that the backtrack options menu wont appear anymore and just go directly to backtrack debug - safe mode?

Thanx you very much everyone.

Default Re: Persistent BT5 wont StartX or Netoworking. Safe Mode Works Perfectly wat do?

Did you follow the Wiki guides to get a USB install ?
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Persistent BT5 wont StartX or Netoworking. Safe Mode Works Perfectly wat do?

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Did you follow the Wiki guides to get a USB install ?
    Yes, Unebootin didnt worked for me, i downloaded 3 times BT5 two form torrent and one from direct and UneBooting never installed right the squash file, in the end i installed it using LiLi.

Nope, it isnt graphic issue, it still throws StartX error on other laptops.

Nope, i cant reinstall it. I only have my crappy laptop without hardrive and my cellphone internet connection with me.

Thanx you.

As a side note, is there a way to make some "persistent" changes on safe mode? just gettin the tools i use the most on desktop and having all drivers installed from the beginning to evoid having to unpack them and install them from the USB would help me a lot.

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

It seems to me like video issue..From the beginning. Safe mode will start the X's with default screen resolution.....

Luck...

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Well, if you say you did not touch anything in USB install and from one day to the other, it just stop working as it should, still, the error is a video issue, I never said it was a DRIVER issue, is about the X server.

There must be something wrong with the filesystem (ext4, ext3)..I recommend to reinstall.

Sorry, I see no other way, again it might be a filesystem problem due to a bad usb stick, so it makes fail some other parts like the X server to crash, sometimes the wifi card, etc.

You might want to re install, sorry.

Luck.