Thread: Install netgear N900 WNDA 4100 for BT5r3 ???

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Install netgear N900 WNDA 4100 for BT5r3 ???

hello,
    After a long time to find et compile the driver for Ubuntu i thing the compilation are different in BT.
    i find the last driver : http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...se.php?sn=5034
    and lot of post for modify the make file etc...

I'm a beginner in linux and backtrack, i need for use it a wireless dongle and for the moment it's WND4100. and i don't have enough brain to do it by my self

Any body have help for me??

Default Re: Install netgear N900 WNDA 4100 for BT5r3 ???

Please keep in mind that backtrack is not a beginners Linux distribution. I would suggest that if you have it working in Ubuntu, then use Ubuntu.

Just burned his ISO

tanks daedalus1776,

i understand what u mean !! and i know i don't have all the competence for all the BT distribution.
    But i do it on Ubuntu and i don't have problem , it's why i disturb the forum for that problem.

Maybe it's not the right place to post about that????

it's the only forum on BT5r3 i fond !! maybe u have some URL for me???

thanks

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Read in this order:

First read this, look for Ralink chipset (in your usb device): http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...st_card_to_buy
    Second, read this: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt2x00
    And third, read this: http://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=5755.0

Again, the ralink chipset should not be your first choice..That is very well stated in the first link.

Please, DO NOT post brand and model of wifi card, use chipset info..Otherwise makes it very difficult to help you guys.

I had to spend 25 minutes finding out the chipset of your usb card..The homepage of netgear do not show chipset in the device info.

I hope it is the one with the ralink 2870sta chipset...

I could have used that time to help someone else..

Luck...

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Re: Install netgear N900 WNDA 4100 for BT5r3 ???

Tanks maverik35 , i read your Link and excuse for the chipset, I thought is was better to post with brand and model of wifi card , excuse .
    The chipset was RT3579sta =>http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100 all info was her on this device.
    On Ubuntu i try with this wiki => http://askubuntu.com/questions/12911...dapter-working, and he work on UBUNTU 12.04 but don't work on BT5r3.

Some idea ??????

tanks

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Chipset is RT3573 my friend, not RT3579sta as you stated, according to the vendor's webpage (http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100)..Use driver to it as specified in this same webpage. Download it.
    Install it..You will need to compile module..Install linux headers and the build-essential (Depending on the distro, it includes the gcc, fakeroot, etc), just look at it to see what will be installed, if not included, need to install them too.

Once install all needed, just compile with "make" and install it with "make install"...One advice, you can save some headaches using "checkinstall" instead of "make install". checkinstall creates a .deb out of the already compiled file. Need to install "checkinstall" from repos.

Luck.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Re: Install netgear N900 WNDA 4100 for BT5r3 ???

I was able to get my Netgear N900 WDNA4100 USB adapter with the Ralink RT3573 chip working. It works to connect to the internet and also in monitor mode. I haven't tried injection yet. The linux driver was just released on 9-11-12 and there is very little info out there about this adapter in linux. I found this on another forum after looking here forever and not getting anywhere. It was actually really easy and I've only been using linux for 2 weeks. My comments are in blue and I altered the original slightly to fit backtrack since you be doing it from root. I would assume this is pretty much the same method that any adapter would take to get working as long as it has a linux driver available. Much thanks goes out to chili555 in the ubuntu forums. He give the clearest and best instructions out of anyone I have seen and if it wasn't for his post I have no idea when I would have got this right.

You will need to download and compile the rt3573sta driver and make a few changes. If you can hook up an ethernet cable and get a connection, open a terminal and do:
    I believe these are already on bt5v3
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential

Go here http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100 and download the package for rt3573sta. Get it to your desktop so we can find it. Extract it down to a folder (no bz2 or tar extnsions). Open the folder that appears. Now we will make some changes to it. Drill down to os/linux/config.mk. Open the file with a text editor and make these changes:

Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    In other words, change the =n to =y in those two lines. Proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Open the file common/rtusb_dev_id.c with any text editor, such as gedit. Add a line as I've highlighted:
    (I didn't have to do this because it already showed up in the list)

Code:
    #endif /* RT35xx */
    #ifdef RT3573
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x3573)}, /* Ralink 3573 */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7733)}, /* Edimax */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x0846,0x9012)}, /* Netgear */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x0B05,0x17AD)}, /*ASUS */
    #endif /* RT3573 */
    	{ }/* Terminating entry */
    All other lines before and after are unchanged. Punctuation, spelling, spacing, etc. are crucial so proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now we're ready to compile. Open a terminal and change directory to the folder on your desktop. Now do:

Code:
    Code:
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt3573sta
    exit
    Now if you do iwconfig you should see your adapter. It showed up as ra0 for me. Just give it a ifconfig ra0 up or a airmon-ng start ra0 and it should light up and work. If you put it in monitor mode it didn't assign it a monX name. I just used the ra0 name in airodump and it was sniffing. I really hope this helps others out as much as it helped me.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MHttr View Post
    I was able to get my Netgear N900 WDNA4100 USB adapter with the Ralink RT3573 chip working. It works to connect to the internet and also in monitor mode. I haven't tried injection yet. The linux driver was just released on 9-11-12 and there is very little info out there about this adapter in linux. I found this on another forum after looking here forever and not getting anywhere. It was actually really easy and I've only been using linux for 2 weeks. My comments are in blue and I altered the original slightly to fit backtrack since you be doing it from root. I would assume this is pretty much the same method that any adapter would take to get working as long as it has a linux driver available. Much thanks goes out to chili555 in the ubuntu forums. He give the clearest and best instructions out of anyone I have seen and if it wasn't for his post I have no idea when I would have got this right.

You will need to download and compile the rt3573sta driver and make a few changes. If you can hook up an ethernet cable and get a connection, open a terminal and do:
    I believe these are already on bt5v3
    Code:

Go here http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100 and download the package for rt3573sta. Get it to your desktop so we can find it. Extract it down to a folder (no bz2 or tar extnsions). Open the folder that appears. Now we will make some changes to it. Drill down to os/linux/config.mk. Open the file with a text editor and make these changes:

Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    In other words, change the =n to =y in those two lines. Proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Open the file common/rtusb_dev_id.c with any text editor, such as gedit. Add a line as I've highlighted:
    (I didn't have to do this because it already showed up in the list)

Code:
    #endif /* RT35xx */
    #ifdef RT3573
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x3573)}, /* Ralink 3573 */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x7392,0x7733)}, /* Edimax */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x0846,0x9012)}, /* Netgear */
    	{USB_DEVICE(0x0B05,0x17AD)}, /*ASUS */
    #endif /* RT3573 */
    	{ }/* Terminating entry */
    All other lines before and after are unchanged. Punctuation, spelling, spacing, etc. are crucial so proofread very carefully, save and close the text editor.

Now we're ready to compile. Open a terminal and change directory to the folder on your desktop. Now do:

Code:
    Code:
    make
    make install
    modprobe rt3573sta
    exit
    Now if you do iwconfig you should see your adapter. It showed up as ra0 for me. Just give it a ifconfig ra0 up or a airmon-ng start ra0 and it should light up and work. If you put it in monitor mode it didn't assign it a monX name. I just used the ra0 name in airodump and it was sniffing. I really hope this helps others out as much as it helped me.
    Thank you sir! Working great for me, for internet usage. Iffy for wash/reaver though as it seems this driver drops connection or freezes easily. That may be just my lack of skills though?

Also, for the download currently available on the page you linked (DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0), the changes you mention to make in the config.mk file are already set to "Y" by default

If you have any further tips for using this adapter for airmon-ng / wash / reaver, ect for WPS checking / cracking please post.

Thanks again!

Just burned their ISO

I'm encountering an error when I try to 'make'.

Code:
    make -C tools
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0/tools'
    gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0/tools'
    /root/Desktop/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/Makefile.6 /root/Desktop/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0/os/linux/Makefile
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build SUBDIRS=/root/Desktop/DPO_RT3573_LinuxSTA_V2.5.0.0/os/linux modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.39.4/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
    make: *** [LINUX] Error 2
    I don't have any idea what went wrong.

One thing that I did find to be different is when I try to do
    Code:
    it returns
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package linux-headers-generic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package linux-headers-generic has no installation candidate
    So the problem may lie there. Would I be right in saying that I may not have the required repository?