Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've changed laptop. And now?

Default I've changed laptop. And now?

Hi all. I've bought a new laptop. An HP pavilion.. But with an Intel sucker wireless integrated card. So, in my old laptop i've a a netgear pcmcia card that works very well.

But...

When i bought the pc i've looked if there is equipped by a pcmcia card slot. I've seen a slot. And i've bought the pc.

In effect, the slot is for ExpressCard... So.. How i can do my best work with this new laptop?

I must but an USB dongle? Or i can make a change in the Intel card? Please support me... Thank you.

What intel card is it?

You could get a usb card.

Which card is it?
    HP/Compaq laptops often have a "tie-in" with Broadcom and even go as far as to BIOS-lock the wifi card!
    If you change the card for an "unsupported" card you'll be greeted with a screen telling you to remove it, and the laptop will refuse to boot!

If this is the case, open your BIOS image in a hex editor and take a look. They use a "white-list" method of what's allowed, by a make/model code.
    Usually you can get away with adding your cards details (a nice Atheros maybe ) to the white-list.

Beware though! You can kill the laptop - at least to a state where the BIOS can no longer be re-flashed, even by the special "recovery" method their engineers use

So, if yours is BIOS-locked, proceed with caution!
    Otherwise, simply throw in a nice Atheros card

Thank you for all this answers. But there are no way to convert the ExpressCard in PCMCIA Card? On the contrary we can with an adapter...

My wireless integrated card is a Intel. But i'm not at home so i cannot say you the code.

If i could buy an USB dongle.. wich i could buy? Can you say to me? Thank you so much.

If BT2 works with any card that has Atheros chipset then it should work with ExpressCard with atheros chipset like this one

Wow! It's fantastic. So.. It will work with my card? Can anyone support this sentence?

Where i can buy this card?

I've searched 2 days ago, but i not found wireless card on ExpressCard slot...

Quote Originally Posted by AmphybiouS View Post
    Wow! It's fantastic. So.. It will work with my card? Can anyone support this sentence?

I've searched 2 days ago, but i not found wireless card on ExpressCard slot...
    Well, if your laptop's slot is the right ExpressCard slot for this ExpressCard it should fit.

Where i can buy this card?
    All the information, on where you can buy the card, is in the Ubiquiti's website.

And... if i won't find the card... What kind of USB dongle i could buy? Thank you.

Have a look at this

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast