Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ****A question about installation of Backtrack.Help a noob please****

Just burned their ISO

Default Re: ****A question about installation of Backtrack.Help a noob please****

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    Keep in mind, Backtrack is NOT a beginners linux distribution.
    heh! but for this beginner it is the only way I can learn... a crash course in brain surgery if you will, elbows deep... the hail mary!

myself I have found the search function to be very helpful.

Default Re: ****A question about installation of Backtrack.Help a noob please****

Quote Originally Posted by arpit View Post
    my installing is not moving forward after sellection keyboard option ,, stage 3
    some one kindly help
    my version is BT5R3 64 bit ..... i am installing it with usb on windows 7 thanks in advance
    This is a separate issue. Rather than commandeer this thread; please use the search function, and if you can't find your answer, then post a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicartefact View Post
    heh! but for this beginner it is the only way I can learn... a crash course in brain surgery if you will, elbows deep... the hail mary!

myself I have found the search function to be very helpful.
    While I respect the "jumping in the deep end" approach, users need to be aware that members of this forum are not here to answer basic linux or computing questions. Hence "BackTrack is not a beginners Linux distribution" gets thrown around so often.

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    While I respect the "jumping in the deep end" approach, users need to be aware that members of this forum are not here to answer basic linux or computing questions. Hence "BackTrack is not a beginners Linux distribution" gets thrown around so often.
    for some reason I... (and others) seem to want to begin on Backtrack, and there is a wealth of information in this forum for beginners.

I have no idea what sudo or apt-get means but I've managed to get BT installed, my nVidia drivers installed, my Alfa working fairly decent... Synaptic installed and 420 some odd Mb of packages downloaded/updated. Ive added xine and accompanying codecs, had three successes with gerix each in under 10mins and managed to get my desktop customized a little...

Yeah I would have to take back anything negative I may have expressed before. And I might have to disagree somewhat about learning on BT. Seems to be put together very intuitively, its not missing packages to run a package already installed and it is detailed enough to be expletive of itself.

works very well for me and I am sure some other users like me who have some or more than a little knowledge ut are just new to linux.

Quote Originally Posted by arpit View Post
    my installing is not moving forward after sellection keyboard option ,, stage 3
    some one kindly help
    my version is BT5R3 64 bit ..... i am installing it with usb on windows 7 thanks in advance
    Try using a different brand or model of USB key. Some (i.e.: Verbatim Store'n'go) cause problems for gparted (partition manager) when they report drive geometry that doesn't make sense. This issue is reported all over the place. It's not BT specific, it hits many flavors of Ubuntu etc.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned their ISO

download Iso file frm www.backtrack-linux.com and boot it

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicartefact View Post
    for some reason I... (and others) seem to want to begin on Backtrack, and there is a wealth of information in this forum for beginners.

I have no idea what sudo or apt-get means but I've managed to get BT installed, my nVidia drivers installed, my Alfa working fairly decent... Synaptic installed and 420 some odd Mb of packages downloaded/updated. Ive added xine and accompanying codecs, had three successes with gerix each in under 10mins and managed to get my desktop customized a little...

Yeah I would have to take back anything negative I may have expressed before. And I might have to disagree somewhat about learning on BT. Seems to be put together very intuitively, its not missing packages to run a package already installed and it is detailed enough to be expletive of itself.

works very well for me and I am sure some other users like me who have some or more than a little knowledge ut are just new to linux.
    You don't know what means apt-get but you have managed to install all that stuff
    Well Done!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12