Thread: WLI-CB-G54HP Help

Just burned his ISO

Default WLI-CB-G54HP Help

I have been going through many of the tutorials on this site and think I finally have the basics figured out -- at least with my first card. I can successfully crack my own internal WEP (test network) both with & without clients using a Netgear WG511T -- in under 5 minutes using complex randomly generated keys. I have been very pleased with BT2 and the aircrack-ng (ptw) suite.

I recently purchased a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54HP hoping to use the external port for a cantenna (EtherDesigns.com) that I had picked up some time back. This card is a bit different since it does not use the Athereos chipset that I have become familiar with in the Netgear. I modify the steps to use eth2 instead of ath0 or ath1. I can successfully run airodump and save packets, but I have not been able to inject. I just get "Sending Authentication Request" replies to my aireplay -1 commands. It ends with "Attack was unsuccessful" and list of reasons.

This is my own internal test network, so I do have full control over the router. I have tried both with MAC filtering on & off -- no diference in the results. The compability page shows conflicting reports for this card stating that packet injection does work in one reply and that it does not work in another.

Since this is the main card sold with the Cantenna package Wireless Garden, I assumed this would be a good one to choose. I am trying to find out if I just made an ass out myself through assuming. ;-)

Any help or guidence with this card would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

This will probably answer your question

Just burned his ISO

That is actually the portion that I was referring to in my original post. The notes contradict themselves by saying that it does & does not work.

Driver : bcm43xx
    Chipset : Broadcom BCM43xx
    Notes: It is found at boot-up and is ready to go. Packet injection works perfectly.
    Awaiting to test, will update my feedback, has anybody used this yet?
    After testing this card against others I have found that the attack modes do not work properly, They will read off but have no effect. However, Monitor mode is possible. 8-11-2007

Quote Originally Posted by no0ne2k View Post
    That is actually the portion that I was referring to in my original post. The notes contradict themselves by saying that it does & does not work.
    Actually, it is not contradictory. The way its written means someone got it to work while someone else did not.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Back to my reason for posting... I am looking for someone who has gotten it to work (preferrably) -- or for someone who really knows their stuff and has confirmed that it does not work and I am wasting my time.

If anyone has confirmed either way, please provide some insight.

Thanks!

Back to my reason for posting... I am looking for someone who has gotten it to work (preferrably) -- or for someone who really knows their stuff and has confirmed that it does not work and I am wasting my time.

Thanks!
    Broadcom support is sketchy at best. I have two of them; one injects while the other doesn't.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Thanks!
    Search the forum for broadcom and count how many times you find someone saying it doesn't work, now do the same counting how many it works for. Also read the comments from those posts, where you will repeatedly see VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE people say the suck, they don't work, they are sketchy at best or to buy another card.

99% of the time you are wasting your time with a broadcom card, if by any stroke of luck it does work for you, then you will quickly ditch it for a properly supported card, once you find out just how poorly it will perform and how unreliable it will be.

Just burned his ISO

I decided to send the Buffalo card back and order a replacement Proxim 8470-FC. This card seems to have gotten fairly good reviews in the posts that I have gone thru. I am hoping my luck will be better this time around. The WG511T worked well for me, but I want to test out the external antenna to see how it works to increase range.

One thing I noticed with the Buffalo card was that the power was always reported as "-1" in airodump. Is this a problem due to the broadcom issues? And hopefully something that the Proxim won't suffer from?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. This site has been very valuable over the week that I have been leaching and browsing through the tutorials.

Thanks!