Thread: Resolve netbios hostname

kingpin

Default Resolve netbios hostname

How do I resolve a netbios hostname from MSHOME in BT2?

Developer

I consider this to spoonfeeserish. If you can't figure out home to use backtrack to resolve hostnames you should start smaller like 'echo'

kingpin

spoonfeeserish, and that means ?
    echo, okay. Youre saying I should study the echo command, then I'll be able to find out how to resolve hostnames?

Developer

no I was being sarcastic because this is something you should be able to do on your own. try autoscan or gfi landguard. they both have nice easy gui's which I belive your gonna need.

kingpin

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    this is something you should be able to do on your own.
    Why? Everyone starts somewhere? There aren't any requirements to use BT?
    It may be a stupid question but that is the reason I'm posting in this area.
    Kind of funny the fact that forums always make an area for newbie's/idiotic questions, but the experienced members still find their way there, just to let out their sarcasem/flameing needs .
    But thanks for the second reply, I'll look into it.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    Why? Everyone starts somewhere? There aren't any requirements to use BT?
    It may be a stupid question but that is the reason I'm posting in this area.
    Kind of funny the fact that forums always make an area for newbie's/idiotic questions, but the experienced members still find their way there, just to let out their sarcasem/flameing needs .
    But thanks for the second reply, I'll look into it.
    I resent that because if the experienced members did not make it here then who in the **** do you think would answer your question. Anyway I don't have any desire to flame newbies but the fact remains that back track is not entry level linux. I get tired of answering questions that a simple search could reveal. What gets me even worse is the kde menu in back track is set up for anyone who is familier with a computer (even a comodore 64) to use. It is split in sections. So what you should have done is set up a test computer and used your attack computer to test out each tool in the apropriate section. So let me spell it out for you since you think Im a asshole and flamed you to get my rocks off or whatever. Resolving host names is called active recon or scanning. So the second entry in the menu is set up for this. Try each tool until you get the desired result because you should already know the host name. RIGHT!. Now in my experiance the only people that get mad when we don't spoonfed them the info is people trying to do somthing illegal. If you really know the host name in should be no problem to problem solve and find a tool to acomplish your goal and chances are you'll learn some more shit along the way so your next question wont be stupid.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I resent that because if the experienced members did not make it here then who in the **** do you think would answer your question. Anyway I don't have any desire to flame newbies but the fact remains that back track is not entry level linux. I get tired of answering questions that a simple search could reveal. What gets me even worse is the kde menu in back track is set up for anyone who is familier with a computer (even a comodore 64) to use. It is split in sections. So what you should have done is set up a test computer and used your attack computer to test out each tool in the apropriate section. So let me spell it out for you since you think Im a asshole and flamed you to get my rocks off or whatever. Resolving host names is called active recon or scanning. So the second entry in the menu is set up for this. Try each tool until you get the desired result because you should already know the host name. RIGHT!. Now in my experiance the only people that get mad when we don't spoonfed them the info is people trying to do somthing illegal. If you really know the host name in should be no problem to problem solve and find a tool to acomplish your goal and chances are you'll learn some more shit along the way so your next question wont be stupid.
    In case you didn't know. MSHOME is a common SSID and common Workgroup name for default installations of certain brands of PC's. Only weenies use the default information. So either this guy is a weenie, or he's attacking a weenie's network. Gee, chances are it's also using the weenie network of 192.168.1.X.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

go to irongeek's site and there you will find a big article called "What can you find out from a IP" or something similar to that. There he covers hostname using linux and windows OS.

Please search next time.

kingpin

Okay, you're right. Who would answer the questions if the experienced user didn't come here. But people should still keep in mind that we are new, and may ask stupid questions. I mean, you wouldn't yell at your 3 year old kid if he asked why the sky was blue? . And btw, I dont think you're an asshole - I just find it a bit funny that people get so angry in forums. People should relax.
    Back to the reason I started this topic - Thanks for all the information, now I definitely know what to look into. And btw, I did try a lot of methods of resolving that hostname, but with no luck. And I wasent learning anything looking through googles archiv, definetly not with the keywords I used. So I just thought someone could help me on the right path, which you guys did.

Well it's good that you got the direction you needed... at the same time I hope you appreciate what purehate expressed to you, in that (IMO) too many people out there/here require being spoonfed the fundamentals of this/that without doing prior research into the basics.

BT isn't a tool for newbies... better off going with mandriva or similar to get comfortable in a nix environment. Some tho, from my experience seem to think they should just dive into BT for its tools when they don't have the knowledge/skills/abilities to execute even the most basic of commands that host the tools... IMHO, I think that there is a bandwagon that gets jumped on by many, they have the desire to become l33t or whatever the **** they call it now'days and do 2-3 google's on linux/hacking and find BT.... pardon my use of the word for those members that may be, but it's seriously gay, and it consumes endless collective hours of time on the part of those in the know who could be furthering the progress of advanced areas of pentesting by having to write posts like this...
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze