Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Backtrack 5/R1/R2

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't install Backtrack 5/R1/R2

I'm having a strange problem plaguing my installs. I think it may be a hardware conflict but I thought I would ask to see if anyone knows what the problem is and if there is possibly a solution. When I try to boot from DVD/USB via default option or just text mode (or any mode really) it just stops loading typically at the same spot. Here are the spots that it stops at.. With R2 I get a strange graphical bug. The computer doesn't freeze because my keyboard still works... I can still CTRL+ALT+DEL and reboot (although it takes a few seconds for it to respond). I've tried installing via DVD/USB I've also tried KDE/Gnome as well as 32/64 bit installations. Any tips would be appreciated thanks!

BT5/R1

Graphical bug R2 install

Here is my system setup.

CPU - Intel Core - i7-980 Hexacore
    Motherboard - ASUS P6X58-E PRO
    Graphics cards (2x/SLI) - EVGA GeForce GTX 580
    Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 24GB DDR3 1600 (6x4GB)
    HD1 - Intel 320 160GB Sata II SSD
    HD2 - Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB Sata III
    Wireless - Asus PCE-N15
    DVD - Samsung SH-222AB

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

Default Re: Can't install Backtrack 5/R1/R2

I'm thinking BT is having trouble with your SLI video setup. Have you tried installing BT5r2 in a virtual machine to see if you get the same problem? Also, are you configuring your PC for dual-boot, or installing only BackTrack?
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Onyoursix,

I have a planned walkthrough regarding ALL GPU issues to be published sometime hopefully today, NLT tomorrow.... It will most likely fix your issue without a hitch, and I hope you stay tuned to my posts. It will be nice to have multiple machines to test this workaround on. It fixed my Intel GPU issues like a charm. Hangtight, have faith, and stay tuned. I'll let you know via here when its posted.
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Just burned his ISO

@Scottm99 I have not tried installing it via virtual machine, I had some problems in the past with usb devices and VM (specifically a usb wireless card for packet injection) so I've been trying to install it via dual-boot next to Win7 on my new machine.

@snafu777 I would be very interested in giving your walk through a shot. I'll def stay tuned to your posts and give any feedback that I can!

Thanks for the replies =)

Just burned his ISO

I have the exact same issue with an i5 2400 (no integrated graphics) and a single MSI 560.

I was able to get BT5R2 installed on a VM but could not get wireless enabled. I would be anxious for any insight into this...

Good friend of the forums scottm99's Avatar

@Onyoursix...very true. For what it's worth, I have 2 installs of BackTrack that I use: 1 in a vm for "light duty", and one installed via dual-boot (64-bit Win 7 / 64-bit BT5r2 GNOME) for "heavy" stuff (e.g. John the Ripper, Kismet, aircrack suite, etc). VM has been handy for me in the past in terms of troubleshooting.

@shifte, are you using VMWare Workstation or VMWare Server? If so, you may need to enable your wireless device from the menu (i.e. click VM, then removable devices). I've successfully used an AWUS036H from within a VM, at least in monitor mode, but haven't tried injection.
    If I could figure out how to scuba dive & hack at the same time, there would be nothing I couldn't do...

Just burned his ISO

I read a little online but haven't found something i can understand fully. I tried VMWare Server, but was hopelessly lost and gave up. I then moved to Windows Virtual PC, boots, but unable to get wireless to work. Any information/suggestions welcomed

Just burned his ISO

Hello!
    I have a problem. I want to install Backtrack 5 R2 from USB, but when I type "startx", scroll lock and caps lock indicators start flashing. Laptop with NVIDIA OPTIMUS.

So, I found some ways to solve the problem of kernel panic, but they need to reboot my laptop. All settings won't save because I use live-usb. Is there any ways to solve it without rebooting? In fact, I see one way, it's to install Backtrack 5 R1 and upgrade it to R2. But I want to know another way.

Just burned his ISO geekinthepink's Avatar

use a live cd man

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by geekinthepink View Post
    use a live cd man
    How can it help? There is kernel panic anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast