Thread: Black sceen, kde not starting not working....strange

Default Black sceen, kde not starting not working....strange

Nevermind....crappy post, not much info given.

Apparently it never worked before (I thought it did, i guess i never tried). I have an Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE. After running xconf and startx I get the black screen and have to do a ctrl-alt-backspace to get out. So after that I assumed I need drivers. So I got an nvidia driver module from the slax main page. The module said it knew geforce 7300 so that's the one I used.

First of all, I put the module in my module directory, that didn't work. So I tried uselivemod and it said i needed to convert it to an lzm. So I did that using mod2lzm or something like that. Then loaded it. That time it worked and loaded it (I guess I should convert them to lzm and then put them in my images folder of my changes partition? I'm using an externall hdd btw).

So running nvidia-xconfig and xconf...both of them said they did something and I should run startx. Startx spat out the same errors after returning from the black screen. Is there something else I'm supposed to edit for me 7300 LE? My friend ahs a Nvidia Geforce Go 7300 and he doesn't even need drivers, I'm kinda confused.

Could it have something to do with the boot option "vga=0x317" being turned on at boot? It's in the bootinst.bat I think.

Any help would be great! thanks.

Got it up working running the nvidia drivers finally. The only problem now is that I can't get it passed 640x480 resolution. I can't seem to find a working answer to this problem around the internet so I thought I'd post here (Backtrack's home). Thanks.

Edit lilo to your desired resolution..nano /etc/lilo.conf
    then Ctrl o to overwrite..Ctrl x to exit...then do the command

lilo -v

command exit

command reboot

or edit your desktops resolution in display manager. I don't have BT2 installed so i hope you understood what i meant by desktop settings.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Hmm, I edited lilo...but it's like backtrack didn't even notice it.

Could it have something to do with the whole sharing of partions...the whole changes=/dev/..?

Quote Originally Posted by johnchain View Post
    Hmm, I edited lilo...but it's like backtrack didn't even notice it.

Could it have something to do with the whole sharing of partions...the whole changes=/dev/..?
    Did you actually execute "lilo -v" after changing the lilo config file?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Yes I did. What I didn't mention earlier however is that after starting to boot windows again...I got well....crap.

Apparently lilo changed the actual MBR, and not that of my external HDD, so I had to do a "lilo -u" to fix it.

From what I see, lilo is a boot loader, what's already loading backtrack. I looked into lilo.conf....all of the partitions are wrong (hda should be sda) and it wouldn't compile with it. So I changed it to accomodate my system. and then did "lilo -v" and it seemed to work fine...it just didn't do anything.

Although you have not said so, it sounds to me like you are using a live install with changes.

If that is the case, then you do not need to be bothering with lilo at all. If you have installed the driver, then you should be able to simply adjust the display properties in the display manager.

The vga=0x317 entry should not make any difference, as my laptops run at 1024x768 with that entry, and without me needing to do any adjustments.

Ah yes, now I see where that confusion came from.

You're right....I'm using a live install (sorry) on my external.

The driver is installed, this includes nvidia's own installer and slax's nvidia module. For some reason it says in the configuration:

CRT monitor (it's an old one), configuration 640x480. And the options to change it are 320x)something), 640x480 and "auto"

Maybe it's the CRT monitor?