Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm starting College 8-27-07!!!

Default I'm starting College 8-27-07!!!

One week from today!!!!

So I decided to tackle a 2 year Associates degree at my local community college. I opted to get my degree in Network Administration. Since they don't offer a class called "Everything you need to be a Ethical Hacker" or something obvious like that,..I opted for this. Is it a good choice?? I have prided myself on my unique ability to be self taught and to be able to apply that knowledge. Now I want to step it up and be the best wireless security or best network Admin that I can possibly be. I'm 31 years old and droped out of high school to join the Army National guard at 17. Then I got my GED in 2000. I passed my entrance exams with flying colors..all except algebra. So I have to take 3 semesters of remedial algebra untill I can take algebra 101. I haven't any clue if what I chose is right to be a penetration tester...but its all that I saw that my community college offered. There were some cert classes...but to tell you the truth..I don't have a lot of faith in myself to be able to pass any certs....yet.

So over the next 2 years my attendance here will be cut dramatically. I apologize in advance to everyone for my soon to be lack of presence here on forum.remote-exploit.org. But rest assured, I will be on as often as I possibly can. I have classes Monday and Wednesday from 10-2:30PM and Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00AM-4:30PM.

Wish me luck everyone. And any advice or encouraging words or help on what certs or alternative degree plan would me much appreciated. Thanks guys for encouraging me to strive to be the best here, at college and beyond.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Have fun, I am taking some classes at my local university too.

Default That roxs!

Glad to not be the only old fart going back to school J/K!
    I am 30 also and I love it. I have been told to get a decent job will have to continue another 2-3 year for BS but I am going to focus on getting my Associates (Information System Security) and CCNA and any other certs I can get on the way. Then hopefully get my foot in the door somewhere and start making some cash to pay all this freaking child support ;P and hopefully buy a decent computer sometime. I would like to get CCNP CCIE one day down the road.

Good luck and if there is anything I could possibly help out with just let me know! I think you will enjoy some of it hate some of it but overall it will defiantly be a good move!
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Congrats! Maybe this means you can teach us more stuff

Well good luck to you man, I applaud your effort. I did something similar, I went to school to get the AS and the MCSE, so I could get past the resume and into the interviews.

Now I know that I should have just stuck it out and skipped the MCSE. I did enjoy my college experience, but by the time I was out, I had plenty of work without the MCSE. And, sadly realized after the fact, most of my best skills came from real world experience and not my bookwork.

So in my path to become a security professional, I have chosen to teach myself the things I need to meld my store bought skills with my homebrewed ones and make it work.

Good luck again, it'll be less fun without you around as much, I enjoy reading your posts.
    --
    "Linux is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

"Linux users swear by their OS, and Windows users swear at their OS."

Must be in the air. I was going through college back in 2000 to get my MCSE, then I got activated. Full time student and more than full time military don't mix. Going back this fall to get my CCNA.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Congrats. I was just talking to my boss today about possibly starting a summer intern program where I can get a decent kid from one of the local High Schools to come in and help me out. That way someone that wants to get into IT can see what it's really like, and see the kind of shit ya gotta deal with on a day to day basis.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That way someone that wants to get into IT can see what it's really like, and see the kind of shit ya gotta deal with on a day to day basis.
    Boy isn't that the truth. Takes all of the fun out of computing. :P
    --
    "Linux is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

"Linux users swear by their OS, and Windows users swear at their OS."

Good luck mate, and don't go chasing too many of those fine college women

Good luck and go for it

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast