Thread: Wireless onboard device not detected

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless onboard device not detected

Hey all and thanks for taking a look at my problem.

I recently downloaded: Backtrack 5 R3 GNOME 32bit ISO
    I burned it to a DVD and I use it as a live cd.

My plan was to test reaver. But then I found myself having a problem right away long before I could test it.
    I booted bt5 "BackTrack Text - Default Boot Text Mode" I typed startx after it finished loading files.
    Backtrack was loaded and the screen was loaded. So I started by opening a terminal, typing airmon-ng.
    To see what my wireless device was called (since in backtrack 3 it sometimes was eth0 or eth1)
    But there was nothing that showed the wireless device. As a matter a fact it only showed an ethernet device.

================================================== ===================

root@bt:~# airmon-ng

Interface Chipset Driver

root@bt:~# airmon-ng start eth0

Found 1 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
    a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

PID Name
    2092 dhclient3

Interface Chipset Driver

root@bt:~# airmon-ng start eth1

Found 1 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
    a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

PID Name
    2092 dhclient3

Interface Chipset Driver

root@bt:~# ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0f:1f:a8:ed:e2
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:11

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:4733 (4.7 KB) TX bytes:4733 (4.7 KB)

root@bt:~# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

================================================== ===================

As you can see, I tried all commands to see if it would appear and to see if it was detected.
    I also tried ifconfig eth0 up and ifconfig eth1 up.
    But sadly that didn't change anything.

On backtrack 3 everything works fine btw. My devices are recognised and eth1 shows up on airmon-ng iwconfig and ifconfig. I already tested the security on a WEP connection of my own once to see how long it would take for backtrack to crack the password.

Now my question is: Why won't my network device show up or be detected on backtrack 5 r3 and how can I fix this problem?

*(The laptop I am using is a Dell Latitude D600)*

Much thanks in advance !!

Greetings Xander

Default Re: Wireless onboard device not detected

It seems that your wifi card driver isn't loaded. Learn how to load the module(if there's one for your card).
    Otherwise search on the internet if there are GNU/Linux drivers for your wifi card. If there are some drivers look after how to create a kernel module.

Regards
    Last edited by erhardm; 09-11-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Just burned his ISO

Well, I don't know what wireless card I own. Since it's an onboard network card and since I can't seem to find what the name of the card is with: dxdiag, Ccleaner, Everest, google. Maybe anyone can help me with that? Or do you think that BT5 would detect a USB Wireless card.. so uuhhm one of those USB Wireless receivers.. I own 2 of those Wiresless Network USB Adapters... Netgear Rangemax Dualband Wireless-N 300 USB-Adapter *WNDA3100* and i own a Sitecom Wireless Network USB Adapter 54G Turbo. Do you think one of those work in Backtrack 5 or not? Also do they work using the airodump-ng command and reaver.. ?

If not could you explain me how to Force mount my network card in BT5 .. Because creating a Kernel module sounds too complex for me i never do anything with linux besides things with networks themselves. I kinda lack the knowledge of writing and stuff like that, im just familiar with the real basics.. The only thing I am pro at is at solving problems on XP systems (I am ashamed of saying that on this forum but its the truth)

Thanks for any help in advance !

Install the latest ubuntu on this box... see if it auto installs it... then get the information and the driver... then come back to backtrack and install it.

If you have no idea on what wireless card it is... thats what i would do... i think

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Need to start netwoking services first, after starting the X's (startx)...

Type : /etc/init.d/wicd start

Try it...Luck...

To have more info about your card type into cli:
    Code:
    lspci
    or
    Code:
    lspci -n
    It will show the device id and you could search on google the model if it's not already there.

About those USB wifi dongles:
    It's only one way to know...try them!

If the card has no Backtrack5 drivers, you have to build a kernel module, the only workaround is to find one from another distro and to hope it works, but chances are pretty low.

Regards
    Last edited by erhardm; 09-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Great minds have purposes, others have wishes

Just burned his ISO

I am also facing the same problem with Backtrck 5r3 and trying to fix it.. no success so far....

Just burned his ISO

Well thanks already for the help. But it can't be a driver related problem. Since it works fine on backtrack 3 ... If my network card gets detected on Backtrack 3 then it should also be detected on backtrack 5. Unless they removed a driver or whatever but as far as i can see in the advanced options tab in Wicd (in backtrack itself) the drivers that are there i know of that they support this networkcard since they have the same drivers in bt3 ... I think its not detecting the card b4 startx ,... so it doesnt detect the network card in the boot of bt5. It had some lines of text in bt3 too during the boot something about network devices ... but it doesnt in bt5. Uuhm it does give me this message: System information disabled due to load higher than 1.0 . I'm starting to think that that is the problem... I never got that notification on bt3. Does that ring a bell with anyone? Oh btw. Wireless Network USB adapters work fine. I have 2 of them and they both worked like a charm. Still i prefer to use my onboard network card since it detects more networks than the usb adapters.

To destro i dont use a virtual box. I use a bootable (a live cd from backtrack...) as a matter a fact my laptop's specs are too low for a virtual box. For VMware anyway.

To maverik35: Using airmon-ng does the same thing... Since i also dont want to connect to any networks i dont need to use Wicd anyway... + airmon-ng start *interface* is what starts the wireless devices but since its not there... only the LAN is detected on the card. which is in my case eth0.

I also tried force mounting my nerwork card but i have no idea how. i tried mount\dev\ but it didnt show anything. So i am 90 % sure it has nothing to do with drivers... im pretty sure its bactrack not registrating / detecting the card.. no idea why but like i said i have my suspicions that it could have to do something with this message: System information disabled due to load higher than 1.0.

Again thanks in advance !

Again for the lazy people who dont like to read back everyting. I am using Backtrack 5 R3 Livecd (so the .iso burned on a cd and then booted via BIOS). 32 bit version GNOME version.

Laptop = Dell Latitude D600

This is what my device manager says btw: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_27228086&REV_05\4&2FA 23535&0&18F0

I'm not sure wether that is or is not the name of the network card but thats the device ID or whatever ... (in details tab)

Just burned his ISO

Grrrrrrr im a newb of BT5,
    took me a while to set it through VMware, i really dont know much so if you have any free suggestion that can help me to learn

im facing the same problem...
    i have Eth0 connection and Im just happy to be able to try different things already,
    but in fact wifi is in some point what i want to learn,

cant get a wlan0 connection either than a french mentor

Just burned his ISO

my wireless connection is shown as wired connection in backtrack 5.. As I am using oracle VM...
    Iwconifg wlan0..and airmon-ng provide any info...
    pls help me out guys.. have treid almost everything i could do.