Thread: Another JtR pipe to aircrack question (character setting and max length issues)

Just burned their ISO

Question Another JtR pipe to aircrack question (character setting and max length issues)

Greetings all.
    I would just like to open with a thank you to all contributors on this board. I obviously have not been registered very long, but I have been using the resources here for sometime.

I am using BT 5 R2 Gnome 64-bit booting from a live cd.

I was able to get JtR to run in incremental mode and I was also able to get it piped into aircrack-ng ... After about 10 hours aircrack shutdown and stated the password was not found. I did some research and obviously figured out that incremental mode has a max. of 8 characters. I went into John.conf and changed the values the section;
    # Incremental Mode
    [Incremental:All]
    File=$JOHN/all.char
    MinLen=8 <b>(it was set to 0)</b>
    MaxLen=20 <b>(it was set to 8)</b>

After doing that I ran this command;
    John --incremental:ALL --stdout | aircrack-ng -b 00:00:00:00:00:00 -w - wifihandshake.cap

Then it acted as if aircrack was going to open but instead displayed;

Quitting aircrack-ng...

My question is what did I do wrong? I know there are lots of topics on JtR piping issues, but none of the ones I have found really break it down.

My second question is; Does JtR use both CAPs and lowercase letters when running incremental mode? I know most routers these days are case sensitive.

And my question is; id JtR does not run through both lower and uppercase letters for this type of process, then I would like to define my own custom character set or edit and existing character set to gear it more towards wpa/wpa2 cracking... where might I find a decent tutorial that explains that? I have found lots of info on this, but nothing that is a step by step breakdown.

Anyways pardon my newbism and thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Default Re: Another JtR pipe to aircrack question (character setting and max length issues)

i think i've encountered this also..please corrent me if im wrong on this:
    try to
    cd to the source directory of JTR and then run your command on the same directory but remember to copy your .cap file there.