Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can connect to network, but not the internet

Just burned his ISO

Default can connect to network, but not the internet

Hi everyone, I have tried everything possible, I have searched the forums etc. but I have not been able to solve this problem I am having. In backtrack, I can connect to my network but I cannot connect to the internet. I am using the ipw3945 driver found on the livecd, and i connect using these commands:

Code:
    iwconfig eth1 mode managed

then

ifconfig eth1 down
    iwconfig eth1 essid xxxx key xxxx
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhcpcd eth1
    it looks like it works, the icon in the taskbar comes up saying i am connected, it shows my ip address, mac address, signal strength, etc.. but I cannot connect to the internet! I open up firefox and can never reach any webpages. If anyone could help me that would be great, I know most people have no problems with this wireless card, so I must be doing something wrong. Thank you in advance!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by gangstazar View Post
    Hi everyone, I have tried everything possible, I have searched the forums etc. but I have not been able to solve this problem I am having. In backtrack, I can connect to my network but I cannot connect to the internet. I am using the ipw3945 driver found on the livecd, and i connect using these commands:

Code:
    iwconfig eth1 mode managed

then

ifconfig eth1 down
    iwconfig eth1 essid xxxx key xxxx
    ifconfig eth1 up
    dhcpcd eth1
    it looks like it works, the icon in the taskbar comes up saying i am connected, it shows my ip address, mac address, signal strength, etc.. but I cannot connect to the internet! I open up firefox and can never reach any webpages. If anyone could help me that would be great, I know most people have no problems with this wireless card, so I must be doing something wrong. Thank you in advance!
    Are you receiving a valid IP address for your network?

Are you receiving a valid DNS server for your network?

Are you receiving a valid Default Gateway for your network?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Hi thanks very much for the quick response, here is the output from ifconfig and iwconfig, i couldnt figure out how to check the dns addresses but i have the gateway and ip addres, although the ip address is a local one and not an isp assigned one im not sure if that is normal.

Code:
    ifconfig
    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:02:-------
              inet addr:192.168.1.101  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::213:2ff:fea9:------ Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:32 errors:0 dropped:149 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:2796 (2.7 KiB)  TX bytes:2849 (2.7 KiB)
              Interrupt:11 Base address:0x2000 Memory:efcff000-efcfffff
    Code:
    iwconfig
     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"--------------"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:0C:41:8B:---------
              Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power:15 dBm
              Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=67/100  Signal level=-65 dBm  Noise level=-66 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:151   Missed beacon:0
    the ----- are where i censored out personal information. also one thing, i saw in one post to run pppoe setup, i ran this and it said network down, not sure what that means. thanks again for any help.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Are you able to ping the IP address of your Default Gateway?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

and why there's no enc key set on your card ?

is it an open network ?

could you post 'iwlist eth1 scan' output ?
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

mac filtering perhaps???

Also try deleting the contents of your /etc/dhcpc folder BEFORE running your above commands.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Noticed as Shaman did your iwconfig output looks odd for a network protected with a key.

Just tested this method to verify it works with my IPW3945 so try this:

Navigate to K menu -> Backtrack -> Radio Network Analysis -> 80211 -> Misc -> Load IPW3945

Code:
    iwconfig eth1 essid linksys key 1B05467835 
    dhcpcd eth1
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

Hi everyone thanks for your help, I will post the various information that people have suggested. To clarify, I took off the encryption because I thought it may be causing the problem so it is an open network now. And mac-filtering is off for sure. I also tried deleting the dhcpc file and that unfortunetly didnt work.

Code:
    bt ipw3945-1.2.0 # route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
    default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    I am assuming that is the same as pinging, hopefully!

Code:
    bt ipw3945-1.2.0 # iwlist eth1 scan
    eth1      Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:0C:41:8B:-----
                        ESSID:"----------"
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
                        Mode:Master
                        Channel:6
                        Encryption key:off
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
                        Quality=69/100  Signal level=-64 dBm  Noise level=-64 dBm
                        Extra: Last beacon: 64ms ago
    And thanks prairiefire, but thats exactly what ive been doing! I have no idea whats going on, could it be a problem with my router? I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 router, it is a few years old. Again thanks to everyone for helping.

Are you using a main wired router for dhcp and wireless AP's for wifi connected to it?
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Just burned his ISO

okay i cant believe this, but i found out what the problem was. i must have been using a really old version of the firmware, because when i updated everything works fine now, i am actually in backtrack right now. sorry for wasting everyones time, i guess the lesson learned from this is that if everything should be working its a problem with your router! thanks to everyone that helped, I cant believe i didnt think of this before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast