Thread: A theoretical, trivial pursuit... (critique my plan)

Hybrid View

Just burned their ISO

Default A theoretical, trivial pursuit... (critique my plan)

My story:

after becoming intrigued by an article describing how to use backtrack to hack peoples wireless, i set up a lab with a friend and played around a while. now however, i have a grander scheme.

in short, id like a create a fake AP for the purposes of a wiretap. on that note, here is the method im going to try out: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ead.php?t=1939 . by all means, have a look at it and tell me if its good or not, and certainly link me to better ones, IYO. i am open for pointers.

i am going to boost my antenna to max by using this: http://dishingtech.blogspot.com/2012...rack-5-r2.html . it would appear that, more or less, all i have left to do is some downloading and configuring.

however, i am certain i am missing something, which is part of the reason i am tossing this up here. let me know what you think.

to be clear, what i want to do is this: i want to create an access point on my network that i could use to attempt to view the browsing and other net use of those who chose to connect to it. usernames, passwords, pictures and the like.

on that note, how would a person boost the AP signal as far as it could reach? i would be willing to buy additional hardware, and even flash different firmware on it, if it would aid this project.

Default Re: A theoretical, trivial pursuit... (critique my plan)

This sounds kinda sketchy. Is this for testing purposes, or to actually "view the browsing and other net use of those who chose to connect to it"...?

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    This sounds kinda sketchy. Is this for testing purposes, or to actually "view the browsing and other net use of those who chose to connect to it"...?
    I literally live in the middle of no where. thats part of the reason i set up a lab to pen test the wireless i have: its mine or no ones LOL.

i also may be able to shoehorn this is into a college course im taking. but mainly, id just like to see if i could do this with as little formal training as ive had.

I like to give people the benfit of the doubt but I do not like anyone using this for illegal activites. I am currently in the middle of writting a tutorial what you are trying to do (on a side note that link you posted has some really outdated stuff on it).

Its a guide on how to help new people like yourself, I suggest you follow it from the start if you want everything to work and by the time you get to the end the new tutorial on MITM attacks with Rouge AP's will have been posted. The setting up of this attack is already on there so you can get ready for it ha. Just visit http://backtrack4beginners.blogspot.co.uk