Thread: Failure to Load "Ubuntu" and "Gnome"

Just burned their ISO

Default Failure to Load "Ubuntu" and "Gnome"

I'm going to explain things first. I'm using a 32 bit version of Backtrack 5r3. I've always logged in as root and didn't mess with what shouldn't be in terms of what to do/what not to do. Three days ago the error "Failed to load 'Gnome" appeared when I tried the console login. I could sign in and access the command line but whenever I clicked the typical startx the message started appearing. After trying several bug fixes that can be found via searching "xorg error fix backtrack" and "failed to load ubuntu/gnome" it changed the gnome to ubuntu.

Oddly, as root on the command line I couldn't access the xorg logs until I used chmod777. Even weirder it listed Release and and X.org as commands which aren't. My only way of actually using the computer required me to make a non-root account just so I could ask a question.

The main problem is I cannot resort to a reformat because of my job's requirement. At the current time I'm an information broker and I had one bit of important data bookmarked on tor. I need to fix the Failed to Load problem.

Note: I'm using the kde plasma failsafe to even use the non-root. I've also looked through past posts and tried most of them. The typical response I get is no such file or directory or permission denied.

Default Re: Failure to Load "Ubuntu" and "Gnome"

Quote Originally Posted by KillerPie View Post
    At the current time I'm an information broker and I had one bit of important data bookmarked on tor. I need to fix the Failed to Load problem.
    So, why are you using Back|Track?
    V/r,
    Snafu
    Pffbt..[quote]I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. [/quote]

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

I strongly suggest to go to tor and mozilla site, see how to back up or extract bookmarks from the browser and then try to fix problem.

To me, You might have some filesystem issues, unless you did something that disrupted the system. Check your filesystem for problem and fix them if there are some with fsck.

luck..

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by snafu777 View Post
    So, why are you using Back|Track?
    It allows me to do my job.
    As for the other comment.
    Already checked the file system and nothing. Everything seems fine but xorg.