12 26.67%
  • My own pet favorite

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something lighter than KDE

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Something lighter than KDE

This one's gonna cause a flamewar, I know.

I repeatedly hear comments from people (not overwhelming, but they're out there) about how BackTrack should drop KDE and go to GNOME. I'll say up front that I use GNOME on my desktop and think it's an excellent desktop environment; but I'm not quite sure what BackTrack needs GNOME for.

Let's hit head on and look at the facts, rather than wave around our favorite DE flag.

• KDE - Eats lots of disk space, memory, CPU. Nice looking desktop environment.
    • GNOME - Eats less disk space and CPU and RAM, but still a lot. Nice looking desktop environment.
    • XFCE4 - Eats surprisingly little CPU and RAM and disk. Nice desktop environment.
    • IceWM - Very tiny. Very minimal, but still a nice desktop environment.
    • Fluxbox - Very tiny. Kind of ugly, shocking compared to the rest. For nerds.

Personally I'd like IceWM because it looks nice, it's tiny, etc, even still maintained! XFCE4 is also tiny (Xubuntu tacked onto Ubuntu is a 42 meg download, Kubuntu brings 192 megs), but it's not the less-than-a-meg program that IceWM is (about a hundred megs of RAM too, versus a few megs).

GNOME and KDE I think are best left for environments like Ubuntu, for a desktop environment. The more space crud eats, the less space you have to pack useful tools onto the CD; it's a fact of life. XFCE kind of does this better, and then there's IceWM if you want to go full minimal.

These are thoughts, and considerations. I'm not going to flamewar over KDE vs GNOME or insist someone get rid of the garbage on my screen; though, BackTrack 2 would have been way more tolerable without all the transparent menus (urgh). Lucky I can turn those off.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
    This one's gonna cause a flamewar, I know.

I repeatedly hear comments from people (not overwhelming, but they're out there) about how BackTrack should drop KDE and go to GNOME. I'll say up front that I use GNOME on my desktop and think it's an excellent desktop environment; but I'm not quite sure what BackTrack needs GNOME for.

Let's hit head on and look at the facts, rather than wave around our favorite DE flag.

• KDE - Eats lots of disk space, memory, CPU. Nice looking desktop environment.
    • GNOME - Eats less disk space and CPU and RAM, but still a lot. Nice looking desktop environment.
    • XFCE4 - Eats surprisingly little CPU and RAM and disk. Nice desktop environment.
    • IceWM - Very tiny. Very minimal, but still a nice desktop environment.
    • Fluxbox - Very tiny. Kind of ugly, shocking compared to the rest. For nerds.

Personally I'd like IceWM because it looks nice, it's tiny, etc, even still maintained! XFCE4 is also tiny (Xubuntu tacked onto Ubuntu is a 42 meg download, Kubuntu brings 192 megs), but it's not the less-than-a-meg program that IceWM is (about a hundred megs of RAM too, versus a few megs).

GNOME and KDE I think are best left for environments like Ubuntu, for a desktop environment. The more space crud eats, the less space you have to pack useful tools onto the CD; it's a fact of life. XFCE kind of does this better, and then there's IceWM if you want to go full minimal.

These are thoughts, and considerations. I'm not going to flamewar over KDE vs GNOME or insist someone get rid of the garbage on my screen; though, BackTrack 2 would have been way more tolerable without all the transparent menus (urgh). Lucky I can turn those off.
    Well you can boot into Flux....
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Polls suck.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

yes it's why there is flux with bt, and it's not only for nerds , i use flux every day, are you saying im a nerd ????
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    yes it's why there is flux with bt, and it's not only for nerds , i use flux every day, are you saying im a nerd ????
    Uhh, yea! Pretty sure most of us are.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Uhh, yea! Pretty sure most of us are.
    And proud of it

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

extract from urban dictionnary :

Nerd

An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with a given subject, usually computers. Unfortunately, nerds seem to have problems breeding, to the detriment of mankind as a whole.
    "Nerds are clearly superior to us in every way.. Let's worship them as our Gods"

sorry but i don't feel a nerd....im too "intelligent" to fall in this this "mental trap"
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

I agree with purehate D (all of the above). First of all who really cares what desktop it has. I personally like KDE because when I started using Desktop Environments, it was better than Gnome. Gnome and KDE are like AMD and Intel, they flop back and forth in better performance, features, etc. Right now Gnome is at the top, but like I said that will change.

Secondly,
    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Polls suck.
    And lastly, agree with purehate on point B.

Just burned his ISO

Default Sothing lighter than KDE

Maybe its not the correct post, but i really need some help,

Im have a really OLD, i said OLD ! laptop, i installed BT2 and work perfectly not fast!!!! but works fine...

the xfce run perfect better kde, (i test it slackware 11), but BT2 don't have the xfce so i download xfce, and run the installer and show some errors i really don't know how to fix it if some could help plz !!! KDE its a little freeze, and flux.. the menu are sooo... i dont know but got some weird

Errors..
    In the system requeriments, Optional dependencies,
    hal-storage
    dbus-glib-1
    then i click install.. its start
    but when estart compiling libs show this error
    xfce-rc-simple.c: In function `simple_add_group':
    xfce-rc-simple.c:141: error: syntax error before "Group"
    xfce-rc-simple.c: In function `simple_add_entry':
    xfce-rc-simple.c:204: error: syntax error before "Entry"
    xfce-rc-simple.c:261: error: syntax error before "LEntry"
    xfce-rc-simple.c: In function `simple_entry_free':
    xfce-rc-simple.c:565: error: syntax error before "LEntry"
    xfce-rc-simple.c:569: error: syntax error before "Entry"
    xfce-rc-simple.c: In function `simple_group_free':
    xfce-rc-simple.c:591: error: syntax error before "Group"
    gmake[3]: *** [libxfce4util_la-xfce-rc-simple.lo] Error 1
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xfce4-4.4.2-installer/libxfce4util/libxfce4util'
    gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xfce4-4.4.2-installer/libxfce4util/libxfce4util'
    gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/xfce4-4.4.2-installer/libxfce4util'
    gmake: *** [all] Error 2
    !! Failed to build libxfce4util, see the errors above
    !! for details on the problem.

THX FOR THE HELP

Developer

try e17. There is how to called "pimp my eeepc" which will work for any bt install to eliminate kde and add e17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast