Thread: Exploits over Internet, rather than LAN - Dynamic DNS and public IP? Tutorials?

Just burned his ISO

Question Exploits over Internet, rather than LAN - Dynamic DNS and public IP? Tutorials?

Hi!

I'm trying to do exploits over Internet rather than my local network.

I only have a internal IP (e.g. 10.0.0.1), no public IP.

As I understand I would need to portforward from the router, by specifying that my chosen port goes to my internal IP address.

However, I don't think I can access port forwarding on the router. I assume most ISPs don't allow users to play around with this.

I've been seeing some tips using dynamic DNS (like no-ip.org or dyn.com) but it seems that I would still need to do port forwarding.

As I understand I would either need 1) a public IP to my own computer, and have my IP static.

My other option would be 2) a public IP and use dynamic DNS, if I can't get a static IP.

Have I understood this correctly?

Any other options?

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials or articles on this topic? I would like to get some better understanding.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Exploits over Internet, rather than LAN - Dynamic DNS and public IP? Tutorials?

1) It's irrelevant if your IP is static or not as long as things are configured appropriately.
    2) it's irrelevant if you use DNS or IP (in most cases) as long as you ultimately reach your target however things are configured. (Dynamic DNS can save you the annoyance of having to rejig things for changing (non-static) public IPs being assigned by your ISP.)

As I understand I would need to portforward from the router, by specifying that my chosen port goes to my internal IP address.
    If you're computer does't have a public address then yes, you need an edge device (which does have a public IP) to route or forward the traffic to the necessary internal device.

However, I don't think I can access port forwarding on the router. I assume most ISPs don't allow users to play around with this.
    Generally. However, in some cases this isn't applicable. For example I have DSL, the DSL modem is dumb and doesn't do anything. I have to setup a PPPoE client which logs into my ISP and that's how I get service. Instead of using a single computer as the client I have a router setup behind the modem which is the PPPoE client and all my systems access my DSL via that router. That router is intelligent and can be configured to port forward traffic from the DSL modem to any of my internal systems.

---[DSL Modem]---[Linksys (Public IP)]---[Internal Systems (Private IPs)]

I've been seeing some tips using dynamic DNS (like no-ip.org or dyn.com) but it seems that I would still need to do port forwarding.
    If you want external (public) access to internal systems you'll either have to make the internal systems public (in my case I could use a single system as the PPPoE client and it'd get a public IP). Or, you'll have to port forward the traffic to the appropriate internal system.

As I understand I would either need 1) a public IP to my own computer, and have my IP static.
    Yes public, not necessarily static. Static is handy as it wont' change, but you can work around that with Dynamic DNS or by simply keeping track of what your public IP is (whatismyip.org etc) and pointing whatever you're trying to do appropriately.

My other option would be 2) a public IP and use dynamic DNS, if I can't get a static IP.
    ...See above...
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.