Thread: Question about installing to HDD

Just burned his ISO

Default Question about installing to HDD

Hi,

I have one physical HDD but partitioned it as C and X.
    I previously had XP on my X drive, but I've now formatted it and want to install backtrack on it
    (I have VISTA 64bit running on C)

Would I just use this guide to install:
    Hard Drive Install

Or should I do more?
    The reason I'm asking is because it doesn't mention the possibility of there being another partition on the same physical drive, and I'm not sure if BT will recognize this?

And will it also be dualboot ready with this guide?
    (Or will I have to use a part of the dual boot installation guide to accomplish this?)

Kind regards

Default Re: Question about installing to HDD

You are probably going to need a guide on DUAL-BOOTING. You can have your grub bootloader point to backtrack and windows on the same menu. If you install grub to the wrong partition it might overwrite your windows loader rendering it un-loadable. So
    see this howto:
    BackTrack Dual Boot Install with Windows (Tested on Win 7)

Just burned his ISO

Another problem has come up!

I just wanted to check the installer out
    So I opened it, geo settings, then got to the partittioner, everything was like in the screenshots, but my sda1 was selected - which wasn't the plan but I new there was another screen after that one, without starting the instal, so I clocked next - no problem, then I quit the install..

I restarted to vista, but there was a disk check (no problem.. vista started) everything seems normal
    BUT

When I start BT again, and open the install file, at the partitionner, I don't see ANYTHING, it finds nothing.. ??

(What information do I have to provide to explain the problem more precise.. ? )

In vista everything works as it normally does..

So could you help to resolve this problem too? (Ofcourse this must be resolved first before tackling the first problem..)

kind regards..

Just burned his ISO

Instead of the HDD Installation guide, use the Dual Boot guide. On step 4, select Manual and then select the partition your want to install on.

Just burned his ISO

That might be a problem.. =/
    http://i45.tinypic.com/2pov7mw.png

As you can see it seems as if it doesn't recognize the fact that there is a windows on that partition ..

(it was the first time I opened it, but as I explained above I did something wrong..)

How do I fix this? (btw I merged my 2 partitions, so I added the 90 Giga from the formatted X drive to my C drive, since the installer wil automaticly make a new partition.)

I'm no fan of bumping a topic .. but I need this question answered and it's already page 2..

Could I please get some support here..
    Last edited by lupin; 01-28-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Merging...