Thread: Any hope for "ipw2100" or "broadcom" card?

Hybrid View

Exclamation Any hope for "ipw2100" or "broadcom" card?

hi there,

I have 2 Latops. One with a "ipw2100" chipset. The other one is an Acer Aspire 3690 with a built in broadcom card.
    I've watched some the Tutorial Videos posted in this forum. I've also tried this tutorial: smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30114/98/

None of it seems to be working.

The "ipw2100" works with BT2, but doesn't seem to support aireplay.
    The broadcom card won't connect to the internet in BT2. Monitor mode does work, however, I don't get the ARP mode to work. It just reads packets, but APR requests and sent packets stay at 0.

I wasn't able to install aircrack-ng 0.9.1 along with the current BT2 release on my Acer laptop. Could this be of any benefit?

Therefore, is there any way, to get either my "ipw2100" or "broadcom" card to work? Maybe through kernel patching or a newer BT / aircrack release or maybe using a different cracking method?

Is there any hope?

thank you

Basically No Hope

The ipw2100 will only monitor, no injection
    The broadcom card has no chance except about 2 versions which are very sketchy at best.

Get a fully supported card

Smile

thank you for your answer.

according to hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers#compatibility

Chipset | Supported by airodump for Linux | Supported by aireplay for Linux

Broadcom | YES | IN PROGRESS (Forum thread
    what does that mean, when they say that broadcom aireplay support is in progress? Is it true to assume that a card that supports "aireplay for linux" will also support injections?

In addition, on the same page, they have a bunch of recommended cards listed. Can I get the USB version as well? I'm confused, by the following:

The best chipset nowadays is Atheros. It is very well supported under Linux, and also under Windows. Neither support any USB wireless devices
    What are they trying to say? Will the listed USB devices work with BT2? Some of the USB devices are less than $20, that's why I'm asking. Or does this only apply to Atheros chipsets? But then again, why would they list the USB devices as recommended then?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tom73 View Post
    thank you for your answer.

according to hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers#compatibility

what does that mean, when they say that broadcom aireplay support is in progress? Is it true to assume that a card that supports "aireplay for linux" will also support injections?

In addition, on the same page, they have a bunch of recommended cards listed. Can I get the USB version as well? I'm confused, by the following:

What are they trying to say? Will the listed USB devices work with BT2? Some of the USB devices are less than $20, that's why I'm asking. Or does this only apply to Atheros chipsets? But then again, why would they list the USB devices as recommended then?

thank you
    The in progress means it is being developed, so like I said and many many other people here have said, it is sketchy at best.

If you want a good idea of what card to get then look here

Confusingly USB based Atheros chipsets won't work with Aireplay...so stay well clear of them!!! However, Atheros chipsets are very popular with PCI and Carbus cards...I have two and they're great, but I'll say it again (just in case it wasn't clear) DO NOT BUY AN ATHEROS BASED USB INTERFACE!

The question of USB interfaces comes up regularly on these forums, do a search and you'll find plenty of good suggestions...and finally, yes you can find some good USB interfaces for under $20.