Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Is this forum dying?

  1. #31
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    We already have a place for basic linux questions.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  2. #32
    Senior Member ShadowMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /root
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    I meant linux questions like the link you posted, and basic hacking q's that are repeated.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    I dont mean to sound like a twat but if you guys dont want to see the forum die then maybe we should help the noobs because once they learn they can help make useful scripts and contruibute. I think if we had a tutorial section showing linux basics, like instaling programs and getting internet access ect... then they could learn linux very quickly.

    I learned from trial an error and maybe a lil google. Now i can do loads of things with BT and its not even hard. I do find its hard to get help from the forum community somtimes but other times ceartin users can be very helpfull, such as Comax and VulpiArgenti who helped me alot.

    I would be willing to write tutorial but theres no section for basic linux questions (which would be a grate idea to stop them being posted in the BT section)

  4. #34
    Senior Member daedalus1776's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Yes, but with all due respect deviney, this is an advanced linux distribution. It shouldn't need to be dumbed down for people who couldn't be bothered learning a little linux first. You wouldn't install Arch Linux and complain that it's too hard. The same should go for Backtrack. And it's not like you can't install Ubuntu and run the aircrack-ng suite, which is what most of these people seem to want to do anyway. I think it's on the onus of the user to do the hard yards and learn a little, not on the community to spoon feed these people. After all; Try Harder.

  5. #35
    Senior Member ShadowMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /root
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Spoken like a true offsec student. I agree with you completely. I once bothered someone for help on IRC with some basic questions. His response was: Google, research, try harder, do some more googling, rethink the issue, google, try harder, and *THEN* ask. I turned that into my way of looking at things. I still ask people for help, but only after I have put some significant time into trying to figure it out myself.
    World Domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer the term World Optimization.

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaster View Post
    Spoken like a true offsec student. I agree with you completely. I once bothered someone for help on IRC with some basic questions. His response was: Google, research, try harder, do some more googling, rethink the issue, google, try harder, and *THEN* ask. I turned that into my way of looking at things. I still ask people for help, but only after I have put some significant time into trying to figure it out myself.
    I too apply this method but I think maybe its time to change it a little. Like with anything in life things can be improved. If you spend 3 hours searching and resarching for somthing then why not write a quick or even a detailed report on it and post your finding so other who end up looking for the same thing can find it on their forum. After all isnt that the postive side of being with a helpful community.

    I am currently working on somthing that will help alot of people with backtrack to get started. Probbly be a month before i release it tho, hopefully it will help are community.

  7. #37
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by deviney View Post
    I dont mean to sound like a twat but if you guys dont want to see the forum die then maybe we should help the noobs because once they learn they can help make useful scripts and contruibute. I think if we had a tutorial section showing linux basics, like instaling programs and getting internet access ect... then they could learn linux very quickly.
    Such content already exists. People (newbs, skriddies, whatever....) just refuse to bother looking for it and ask blindly.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

  8. #38
    Member shadowzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ${HOME}
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by deviney View Post
    I learned from trial an error and maybe a lil google. Now i can do loads of things with BT and its not even hard. I do find its hard to get help from the forum community somtimes but other times ceartin users can be very helpfull, such as Comax and VulpiArgenti who helped me alot.
    Right, you did things on your own, and asked intelligent questions - so you got help. How many of the other n00bs posting here do that? Some of them think they can install Backtrack and hack into everything, without realizing that hacking isn't something you can learn over the weekend.

  9. #39
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    As was said, Backtrack is a specialized OS whose included tools are designed for those who can work a command line. That takes Linux experience, something I learned firsthand when I first attempted to make use of BT4 a few months ago. A basic Linux class, and a little practice here and there, and I can easily perform some of the more basic tasks like WEP cracking. (Gotta start somewhere ).

    Anyway, having a short guide for basic Linux issues couldn't hurt, but those looking into this OS should seriously have some Linux experience. Maybe even a quicky manual or reference guide included with the software that explains the bare basics for the Terminal, especially if the OS is only being used intermittently. I myself keep a notebook that has commands I can refer to if needed while offline.

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Is this forum dying?

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowzero View Post
    Right, you did things on your own, and asked intelligent questions - so you got help. How many of the other n00bs posting here do that? Some of them think they can install Backtrack and hack into everything, without realizing that hacking isn't something you can learn over the weekend.
    Well i have started a lil guide for noobs, a blog that starts from installing backtrack and will go all the way to exsploiting machine/mitm/rouge AP's etc. Its prity much spoon feeds the noobs.

    I think by doing this we can get rid of some of the really basic problems like how do i login, I will continue to add to it daily for a week or two.

    I was wondering if you could add a stickie thread with my blog address inside it and point the noobs in my direction so i can teach them and ansrew there questions before pointing them back here after they have learned a bit.

    Am trying to keep show them the basics using GUI and scripts at first and just trowing a few CLI commands in there so they can see how they work for later tutorials. Have a look at it guys and let me know what you think of it.

    http://backtrack4beginners.blogspot.co.uk

    Note: there may be spelling mistakes because I put it togther really quickly but all the commands etc work correctly

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •