Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Flash 11.x.x for back|track 5

Just burned his ISO

Default How to install Flash 11.x.x for back|track 5

Dear all,
    Can anyone install flash 11 success on firefox 14 for BackTrack 5 r3 ?.
    I have seen tutorial but i unable install flash 11 for BT 5 r3. it only work for bt 4.
    I'm install chrome, it's work. Flash is perfect.
    -----------
    Please write tuts to install Flash 11 for backtrack5 r3

Thank!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: How to install Flash 11.x.x for back|track 5

I have been trying for days to get Flash working in Firefox, but to no avail. The tut on the Wiki page is obviously outdated, as are the ones that can be found here in the forums. I'm at a loss on how to get Flash working in Firefox on BT 5 R3.

My current workaround is to use Google Chrome. Not Chromium, but Chrome.

The difference between the two is slight, but obvious. Chromium is the dev version, looks and feels like an old version of Chrome, you still need to configure it a bit to use it in BT, and you still need to install Flash. There are many tutorials on the net on how to do this, and even a couple here in the forums, I think. So, I won't go into it.

Google Chrome for public usage has a stable release for both Mac OS and Linux. The main difference here is that it comes with Flash pre-installed. So, once you have installed Chrome on your BT box, you just run it, and voila, Nessus, Metasploit, NeXpose, OpenVAS, and whatever else you use a browser for is up and running. No need to worry about installing Flash, and pulling out your hair on removing, copying, and moving all sorts of files. Especially if all that effort fails miserably.

Ok, short tut on how to install Google Chrome on your BT box.

Go download Google Chrome (32-bit or 64-bit .deb file version depending on your box). I dowloaded the 64-bit version coz my box is BT 5 R3 KDE x64.

You can use wget to do this, or I just downloaded it using Firefox. For the diehards who insist on using wget, I'm sorry that I don't have the download link for ya. Forgot to save it, and now too lazy to find it, lol.

Once downloaded, you can just run the file using dpkg:

# dpkg -i Google-Chromefile-name.deb

On my box, I downloaded the file and ran dpkg from my home directory. For the advanced users who downloaded it to a dedicated download directory, you should be able to run dpkg from there. Didn't try, but I don't see why the install would fail if you ran it from a different directory other than your home directory. For youse lazy buggers who hate to type command line script, just click the .deb file and it should run and install automatically (again, I didn't try this, but I don't see why it shouldn't).

Google Chrome installs effortlessly and painlessly. Once installed, you will find it from the K-Menu (for KDE users, and should be the same for Gnome users) where Firefox is.

But, hold on. When you try to run it, an error box pops up and says you can't run Chrome as root! Aaaarrgghhh!

OK, so now we need to edit the Chrome binary a bit. For this, we need to use gedit, so open a terminal or Konsole or whatever funky name you call it, and download and install it from the repo:

# apt-get install gedit

Once that is done, type and enter:

# whereis google-chrome

The output should show /usr/bin/google-chrome and some other location which I can't remember (coz it wasn't important, lol).

Next, input:

# gedit /usr/bin/google-chrome

The gedit tool will open a window.

Go to the very bottom of the text and add --user-data-dir

Make sure you put a space between the “$@” and the --user-data-dir

Now go to the top left and click on File & then Save. Close the gedit window.

Open Google Chrome and it will run. Flash is playing fine, and I've yet to encounter any problems.

OK, some of you want something like the NoScript add-on for Firefox (I hear someone screaming at the back “Chrome is not secure and is lousy for pentesting!”). The most popular extensions for Chrome are NotScript and ScriptNo. Neither is as elegant or intuitive to use as NoScript for Firefox, but they get the job done.

One final parting shot. I really want to make Flash working in Firefox on my BT 5 R3. So, if anyone does have a solution, the OP and myself would greatly appreciate it. And, if you are in my neck of the woods, I'll buy you a drink (or two) as well.

P.S. Whenever Google Chrome is updated, you will have to use gedit and modify again as shown above.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: How to install Flash 11.x.x for back|track 5

Ok, after playing around with Flash Player 11.x.x, I've managed to install the 32 bit version on BT5R3 KDE x64. Could never get the 64 bit version working, but the 32 bit version of Flash works just fine.

First of all, I removed the current installation of Flash using the tutorial given in the Wiki:

# aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla

# rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper*flash*so

# rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so

The difference here is that I used "aptitude purge" instead of "apt-get purge". The former will remove files, dependencies, and configurations, while the latter removes files and dependencies.

Now, please kill all instances of Firefox. If you need a script to make sure, you can do this:

# killall -9 /opt/firefox/firefox-bin

OK, the next part is to install Flash. We are using wget here, but if Adobe changes the download link, please change the script accordingly, or just download the Flash installer from their website. We will be using wget in the following:

# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...ux.i386.tar.gz

# tar xvzf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz

# mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins

# mv libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Then just delete everything else that got extracted. You should be good to go, and Nessus should be running fine.

Yes, it is the 32 bit version of Flash, but it works just fine in my BT5R3 KDE x64 box.

The reason I continued to play around with the latest version of Flash and Firefox was because I could not force Google Chrome to use https while using Nessus (or any other tool that can use a browser as an interface). Lousy Chrome devs locked this, and it is a real hassle. So, it is back to Firefox for my pentesting classes. Chrome is still very nice for web surfing, though.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks you! Work perfect

Just burned their ISO

Sempurna,

I had been working on this for four hours before I came to the forums. Banging my head against the wall, way to early to start drinking;-)! At any rate, worked flawlessly, dont need my flash in 64. Thanks again and well done.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Sempurna View Post
    I have been trying for days to get Flash working in Firefox, but to no avail. The tut on the Wiki page is obviously outdated, as are the ones that can be found here in the forums. I'm at a loss on how to get Flash working in Firefox on BT 5 R3.

My current workaround is to use Google Chrome. Not Chromium, but Chrome.

The difference between the two is slight, but obvious. Chromium is the dev version, looks and feels like an old version of Chrome, you still need to configure it a bit to use it in BT, and you still need to install Flash. There are many tutorials on the net on how to do this, and even a couple here in the forums, I think. So, I won't go into it.

Google Chrome for public usage has a stable release for both Mac OS and Linux. The main difference here is that it comes with Flash pre-installed. So, once you have installed Chrome on your BT box, you just run it, and voila, Nessus, Metasploit, NeXpose, OpenVAS, and whatever else you use a browser for is up and running. No need to worry about installing Flash, and pulling out your hair on removing, copying, and moving all sorts of files. Especially if all that effort fails miserably.

Ok, short tut on how to install Google Chrome on your BT box.

Go download Google Chrome (32-bit or 64-bit .deb file version depending on your box). I dowloaded the 64-bit version coz my box is BT 5 R3 KDE x64.

You can use wget to do this, or I just downloaded it using Firefox. For the diehards who insist on using wget, I'm sorry that I don't have the download link for ya. Forgot to save it, and now too lazy to find it, lol.

Once downloaded, you can just run the file using dpkg:

# dpkg -i Google-Chromefile-name.deb

On my box, I downloaded the file and ran dpkg from my home directory. For the advanced users who downloaded it to a dedicated download directory, you should be able to run dpkg from there. Didn't try, but I don't see why the install would fail if you ran it from a different directory other than your home directory. For youse lazy buggers who hate to type command line script, just click the .deb file and it should run and install automatically (again, I didn't try this, but I don't see why it shouldn't).

Google Chrome installs effortlessly and painlessly. Once installed, you will find it from the K-Menu (for KDE users, and should be the same for Gnome users) where Firefox is.

But, hold on. When you try to run it, an error box pops up and says you can't run Chrome as root! Aaaarrgghhh!

OK, so now we need to edit the Chrome binary a bit. For this, we need to use gedit, so open a terminal or Konsole or whatever funky name you call it, and download and install it from the repo:

# apt-get install gedit

Once that is done, type and enter:

# whereis google-chrome

The output should show /usr/bin/google-chrome and some other location which I can't remember (coz it wasn't important, lol).

Next, input:

# gedit /usr/bin/google-chrome

The gedit tool will open a window.

Go to the very bottom of the text and add --user-data-dir

Make sure you put a space between the “$@” and the --user-data-dir

Now go to the top left and click on File & then Save. Close the gedit window.

Open Google Chrome and it will run. Flash is playing fine, and I've yet to encounter any problems.

OK, some of you want something like the NoScript add-on for Firefox (I hear someone screaming at the back “Chrome is not secure and is lousy for pentesting!”). The most popular extensions for Chrome are NotScript and ScriptNo. Neither is as elegant or intuitive to use as NoScript for Firefox, but they get the job done.

One final parting shot. I really want to make Flash working in Firefox on my BT 5 R3. So, if anyone does have a solution, the OP and myself would greatly appreciate it. And, if you are in my neck of the woods, I'll buy you a drink (or two) as well.

P.S. Whenever Google Chrome is updated, you will have to use gedit and modify again as shown above.
    What happened here?
    root@bt:~# dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb (--install):
    package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
    root@bt:~#

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Sempurna View Post
    Ok, after playing around with Flash Player 11.x.x, I've managed to install the 32 bit version on BT5R3 KDE x64. Could never get the 64 bit version working, but the 32 bit version of Flash works just fine.

First of all, I removed the current installation of Flash using the tutorial given in the Wiki:

# aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla

# rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

# rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper*flash*so

# rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so

The difference here is that I used "aptitude purge" instead of "apt-get purge". The former will remove files, dependencies, and configurations, while the latter removes files and dependencies.

Now, please kill all instances of Firefox. If you need a script to make sure, you can do this:

# killall -9 /opt/firefox/firefox-bin

OK, the next part is to install Flash. We are using wget here, but if Adobe changes the download link, please change the script accordingly, or just download the Flash installer from their website. We will be using wget in the following:

# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get...ux.i386.tar.gz

# tar xvzf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz

# mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins

# mv libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Then just delete everything else that got extracted. You should be good to go, and Nessus should be running fine.

Yes, it is the 32 bit version of Flash, but it works just fine in my BT5R3 KDE x64 box.

The reason I continued to play around with the latest version of Flash and Firefox was because I could not force Google Chrome to use https while using Nessus (or any other tool that can use a browser as an interface). Lousy Chrome devs locked this, and it is a real hassle. So, it is back to Firefox for my pentesting classes. Chrome is still very nice for web surfing, though.

I registered an account so that I could tell you thanks and YES this worked for the newest BackTrack 5 r3 with updates as of today.

Thank you.

Just burned their ISO

hi,

install firefox addon "flash-aid"
    create folder: root@bt:~# mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins
    start in firefox -> Extras -> Flash-Aid -> Wizard Mode
    restart firefox

Just burned their ISO Isotropic's Avatar

Thanks for the great post, Sempurna. 32-Bit download from Adobe worked for me using the method described above on BT5R3 GNOME x64 Firefox.

i have done a simple step just uninstall then install it back:

1. apt-get update

2. uninstall using apt-get remove or using software-center

3. then install it back

you are done

i hope this will help others....
    Happy hunting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast