Thread: Troubles Installing backtrack 5 r3

Just burned his ISO

Default Troubles Installing backtrack 5 r3

I have some troubles installing backtrack 5 r3.
    for some reason the installer is stuck after selecting the keyboard layout.
    clicking forward will only blank the buttons but the screen will not change to the partition selection
    one.
    the x system is responsive and I can cancel the installer but it will just wont let go past this screen.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Troubles Installing backtrack 5 r3

Ok Never mind I found a solution.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48605

the libparted version that comes with backtrack is old and has some bugs reading partitions created with fdisk (I can only guess that this is a specific version
    issue cause I had no problems partitioning the drive from my native ubuntu system)
    what I did in the end was completely remove the partitions from the disk(I did it from ubuntu but maybe u can use fdisk for these if you don't have , and use gparted (apt-get install gparted)
    to create the partitions I needed. then the installation went throe with no problems

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by n00ne View Post
    Ok Never mind I found a solution.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad.php?t=48605

the libparted version that comes with backtrack is old and has some bugs reading partitions created with fdisk (I can only guess that this is a specific version
    issue cause I had no problems partitioning the drive from my native ubuntu system)
    what I did in the end was completely remove the partitions from the disk(I did it from ubuntu but maybe u can use fdisk for these if you don't have , and use gparted (apt-get install gparted)
    to create the partitions I needed. then the installation went throe with no problems
    This solution didn't work for me , iv tried to run gparted directly from backtrack r3 live usb and it crashed (with Assertion (head_size <= 63) just like you when you got stuck after the keyboard layout .

Very good friend of the forum maverik35's Avatar

Well, for both members, It seems to me like partition issues...Always try downloading gparted and burn it onto a dvd or cd...Then boot with it and partition your HDD...Remember that BT5 uses ext4 filesystem.

If you like console, do it the old and most effective and hasseless way, using fdisk in terminal, in this case, you need to be very carefull and read before doing it, but it is quite powerfull....

Luck.