Thread: Alienware M17x r3

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Alienware M17x r3

Network Adapter: Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 / Works out of the box monitor mode & all.
    USB ports: Works out of box
    SD card reader: Works out of box
    CD/DVD player: Works out of box
    HDMI In/Out: Have not tested
    Audio: Works with edited file.
    Video (AMD 6990m): Works by disabling the onboard intel graphics & downloading/installing AMD drivers.

Everything I've tested works fine out of box except the Audio, and Video. The video has a problem with there being 2 cards, the onboard intel & the AMD. Below is how I resolved both issues.

AudioDriver:

With Backtrack 5 r3 I had to go to System-Preferences-Startup Applications.
    Click PulseAudio Sound System, click edit.
    Change Command to
    Code:
    /usr/bin/pulseaudio
    Then edit
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I'm using gnome Backtrack, so I open terminal and type:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    add the following line at the very bottom:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-amic
    save & reboot.
    Once you've rebooted click the speaker icon, go to Sound Preferences.
    Click Output tab, make sure Internal Audio Analog Stero is selected, and Connector is Analog Speakers. Click hardware tab, select Internal Audio, profile should be Analog Stereo Duplex.

Video Drivers:

The easiest way for me to get the AMD card working, was to disable the intel card, so only the AMD card is active. This isn't an option with the normal BIOS from alienware, so you have to download a custom bios in windows, flash it, then you can boot into your custom bios, and disable the intel card.
    Custom bios attached here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienwa...-bios-a09.html
    There may be another way, but when I tried installing ati drivers while the intel card was still enabled I would get the no screens found error.

After you've disabled intel card, visit http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx fill out the information & download current drivers. (Mine is Notebook Graphics-Radeon HD Series-Radeon HD 6xxxM Series-Linux x86_64)

I saved to desktop. Double click to open with archive mounter, then open the mounted zip file. Click the .run file and drag it out onto Desktop, or wherever you downloaded to.

Right click the .run file, properties, Permissions tab, check the box "Allow executing file as program" & click close.

Open terminal, and CD to the directory of your .run file.
    mine is on desktop, so I type:
    Code:
    cd /root/Desktop
    Type ./NameOfFile.run mine is
    Code:
    ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run
    The AMD Installer should pop up, just continue through everything, don't change any settings.

Exit, delete the files you downloaded/extracted & reboot.

You should have working sound & video!
    Last edited by ajent; 08-24-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Alienware M17x r3

Quote Originally Posted by ajent View Post
    Network Adapter: Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 / Works out of the box monitor mode & all.
    USB ports: Works out of box
    SD card reader: Works out of box
    CD/DVD player: Works out of box
    HDMI In/Out: Have not tested
    Audio: Works with edited file.
    Video (AMD 6990m): Works by disabling the onboard intel graphics & downloading/installing AMD drivers.

Everything I've tested works fine out of box except the Audio, and Video. The video has a problem with there being 2 cards, the onboard intel & the AMD. Below is how I resolved both issues.

AudioDriver:

With Backtrack 5 r3 I had to go to System-Preferences-Startup Applications.
    Click PulseAudio Sound System, click edit.
    Change Command to
    Code:
    /usr/bin/pulseaudio
    Then edit
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I'm using gnome Backtrack, so I open terminal and type:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    add the following line at the very bottom:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-amic
    save & reboot.
    Once you've rebooted click the speaker icon, go to Sound Preferences.
    Click Output tab, make sure Internal Audio Analog Stero is selected, and Connector is Analog Speakers. Click hardware tab, select Internal Audio, profile should be Analog Stereo Duplex.

Video Drivers:

The easiest way for me to get the AMD card working, was to disable the intel card, so only the AMD card is active. This isn't an option with the normal BIOS from alienware, so you have to download a custom bios in windows, flash it, then you can boot into your custom bios, and disable the intel card.
    Custom bios attached here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienwa...-bios-a09.html
    There may be another way, but when I tried installing ati drivers while the intel card was still enabled I would get the no screens found error.

After you've disabled intel card, visit http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx fill out the information & download current drivers. (Mine is Notebook Graphics-Radeon HD Series-Radeon HD 6xxxM Series-Linux x86_64)

I saved to desktop. Double click to open with archive mounter, then open the mounted zip file. Click the .run file and drag it out onto Desktop, or wherever you downloaded to.

Right click the .run file, properties, Permissions tab, check the box "Allow executing file as program" & click close.

Open terminal, and CD to the directory of your .run file.
    mine is on desktop, so I type:
    Code:
    cd /root/Desktop
    Type ./NameOfFile.run mine is
    Code:
    ./amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run
    The AMD Installer should pop up, just continue through everything, don't change any settings.

Exit, delete the files you downloaded/extracted & reboot.

You should have working sound & video!
    Read your post but couldn't get video drivers installed! I downloaded the modded BIOS and flashed it. Went into BIOS and set graphics to PEG and disabled onboard graphics. Reboot and installed the latest ATI drivers, they install fine and I reboot. When I go into the desktop and try to launch catalyst control center it says no ATI display adapters found?? Tried a dozen times, What am I doing wrong?

Just burned his ISO

Heres more information.

I have an Alienware m18x. Dual 7990 with i7 HD3000. I disabled onboard video via BIOS settings leaving only PEG enabled. I have installed the ATI driver from the website and keep getting the error when I launch catalyst control center.

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.

Here's the lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 82801 SATA RAID Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6800
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device aab0
    07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6800
    08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
    09:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)
    0a:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5209 (rev 01)
    0a:00.1 SD Host controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5209 (rev 01)

Also when I do this:

root@bt:~# sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

Thanks for any help guys...

Just burned their ISO

Thats wierd that your Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 works because i have a dell inspiron n5010 with the same network device and when i try to run airmon-ng start wlan0 I get nothing back.. i dont see any devices listed like mon0...

Just burned their ISO

Thanks. Been trying to get audio working on my new M17x R3 (love this thing) with LMDE 201204, and your solution worked.