Thread: Rainbow Tables

Just burned their ISO

Default Rainbow Tables

I have read as much as I can on how to use the files downloaded from the famous renderman 33gb rainbow table.
    Here is where i stand.

I have succesfully ran a regular brute force and dictionary file with WEP, WPA and WPA2, I'm now trying to use this prehashed enormous file but I'm having trouble to understand the processes of adding a new SSID to airolib to use with cowpatty
    My understanding as of today is that the renderman tables come with the 1000 most popular SSID and some precalculated hashes for those SSIDs, each of one on a separate folder. What I don't completely understand is that if I add the new SSID to the airolib db, then export to cowpatty format a file that comes with the renderman file (ex. xaa-0/linksys/) , because my new SSID does not have a folder with all the precalculated hashes, what I'm I adding, what do I need to add?.

At this moment I have some handshakes that I would like to test, but can't run it against an SSID that is not with the top1000

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Rainbow Tables

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are saying. Do you mean that the SSID for your network does not appear in the rainbow tables? If that's the case, you can't just add a folder into those tables with your SSID name and expect it to work. The hashes are calculated using the SSID as a salt, so the existing hashes in the rainbow tables will not work with your SSID. You will need to create your own rainbow table using a tool like genpmk.

I also don't see the value in combining the use of airolib and cowpatty (although you may have a valid reason). Cowpatty alone is perfectly capable of taking a WPA/2 handshake and a rainbow table to obtain a WPA/2 passphrase.

Default Re: Rainbow Tables

Look into pyrit if you have a ATI/Cuda GPU and use a good dict and use attack_passthrough method, pre-computed rainbow tables are useless against WPA.

But generating your own Pre-Computed table is not worth the disk space or time, using the passthrough method is more methodical.

Though WPA is rather difficult now its not worth the hours/days possibly years for the most likely outcome of "Passphrase Not Found!", Manufacturers/ISPs now shipping routers with a unique SSID and their is some with a default WPA is 10 chars, Good Luck! with that.